• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Linaro]Volt Dos 1.0b 1/1/16

Don't think this is the right thread for that. But you should start a new thread cuz I been pondering it too. I would start with https://github.com/meefik/linuxdeploy. The apk is in play store. Major issues you run into are memory space. I was thinking maybe you could set up the phone to boot from sdcard. Also good luck with drivers haha

under developers options there is a show cpu usage, and profile gpu redering you can select on screen as bars then you can use busybox or somthing to log dumpsys gfxinfo.

I was wondering is there a device tree for the stock zv3-zv6 kernel without modifications that i can fork.
Are you looking for the dt.img or the defconfig? dt.img you can pull out of a stock kernel image, defconfig you can go to the first voltdos commit.

Upvote 0
Introducing the Volt Dos kernel for stock and stock-based ROMs, based on Volt Uno by Whoshotjr2006. I've taken the stock kernel source, compiled it with Linaro 4.9.4, with cortex-a7 optimization and added customizations. My goal is to continue adding updates and customizations. As such, I'm taking feature requests.

Features:
Linaro O2 optimized compilation plus whatever I could apply from 03 that will boot
LZ4 compression (slightly faster boot)
BFQ, fifo, sio, sioplus, vr, and zen schedulers
Intelliactive CPU governor
Intelli_plug (mpdecision replacement)
Intelli_thermal
Faux123 Powersuspend
Adreno Idler
KSM, zsmalloc, zcache
(possibly) GPU overclocking

**Disclaimer** I take no responsibility for the coming of the apocalypse, cats and dogs getting along, violations of the rules of physics, your significant other leaving you, or a broken phone. Make sure you have backups. Consult a dev if you experience excessive uptime.

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vf6ynedrvycz084/volt_dos_1.0b.zip
MD5: FF5227DA843A0C92BA9987B6F951994B

Feel daring? Try a beta.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ghmbb8eei7m9cue/volt_dos_1.1b1.zip
MD5: 38CB3AE3BECD2A0FD6763C38C98E9BB1

Make sure you use TWRP 2.8.7.0 to flash this.

To tweak the kernel (such as governors, schedulers, mpdecision) the use of 3C Toolbox or Kernel Adiutor is highly recommended. Trickster Mod is a simpler option but is prone to busybox issues. These are the only three verified to have full support.

For great I/O, use the SIO scheduler with a cache size of 2048 or the FIOPS scheduler with a cache size of 3072.

If you encounter a stability issue please collect a logcat and a dmesg/last_kmsg for me so I can investigate. I stability test on my phone and generally don't have issues when I release. [HOW TO] - [Post Kernel last_kmsg] - [make Nova Launcher fully expand(desktop mode)] - xda-developers for more detail on last_kmsg

Source code here: https://github.com/spock1104/android_kernel_lge_voltdos
If you make use of this code please try to fork or at least cherry-pick to facilitate code sharing. If you build this code or any subset into a binary you must make your source code available at the same time, per GPL.

Loading instructions:
To permanently load the kernel, flash the zip in recovery. This WILL overwrite system files, make sure you have a backup! There's no need to perform wipes, but it's recommended that you perform a battery calibration.

See post #2 for tips on reducing battery drain

See post #3 for a guide on compiling your own kernel

HTML:
CHANGELOG:
<B>Dos 1.01 beta 1</B>
Devfreq improvements
Fix simple_ondemand
add conservative GPU governor
possible OC fix
<B>Dos 1.0b</B>
Fix intelli-thermal for 8226 architecture (caused some to bootloop)
<B>Dos v1.0</B>
Linaro 4.9.3 2015.06
Switch from OS to O2+ optimization
Switch to LZ4 compression
add BFQ, fifo, sio, sioplus, vr, and zen schedulers
add Intelliactive CPU governor
add Intelli_plug
add Intelli_thermal
add Powersuspend and Adreno Idler
enable KSM, zsmalloc, zcache
add possible GPU overclocking

I appreciate any feedback, testing, and development help I can get.

Thanks for the source:
aosp
LG
Whoshotjr2006
faux123
arter97
And a HUGE thanks to Christopher83 for his Linaro binaries

Enjoy!

To Do:
OTG support (probably not possible, power issues)
cleanup unnecessary code
update drivers
Hey spock1104 I was wondering is there any hope for enableing OTG ?

Upvote 0
From what I can tell, it's already enabled. Probably the same problem as other phones that the USB port isn't powered.

I'll give the OTG cable plus power (the 'Y' cable) a try, one is being shipped to me in the snail-mail now. Besides the potential OTG support or not, is this kernel the best it can be for our device right now? I haven't messed with it since beta 1.1, seemed like there were stability issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Y cable may not work without a kernel mod to enable otg and charging at the same time. Let me know your result.

No, the kernel isn't the best it can be, but I haven't had time to work on it and nobody has done the testing I suggested so I still don't know where the issue is, only a guess that the adreno idler isn't working right.

Upvote 0
The Y cable may not work without a kernel mod to enable otg and charging at the same time. Let me know your result.

No, the kernel isn't the best it can be, but I haven't had time to work on it and nobody has done the testing I suggested so I still don't know where the issue is, only a guess that the adreno idler isn't working right.

I thought the point of the 'Y' cable was to provide power to whatever USB device was being plugged in, not to provide power to the phone itself, sort of like a powered USB hub.

I'll reinstall the latest beta 1.1 and give you any logs I can get if I notice any issues pop up.

Upvote 0
I thought the point of the 'Y' cable was to provide power to whatever USB device was being plugged in, not to provide power to the phone itself, sort of like a powered USB hub.

I'll reinstall the latest beta 1.1 and give you any logs I can get if I notice any issues pop up.

The problem is that the cable provides power to both connectors, while OTG relies on sending power out of the phone. The phone may see the Y cable as a charger instead of an OTG device.

Upvote 0
I see no further issues, running the latest 1.1b1 on ZV6 V.5 Stock Mod. Is there anything I should be testing for or looking for? I truly believe Facebook was the reason for the system lag, I'm avoiding their Android app like the plague and everything seems great. Couldn't really use Greenify on Facebook because I needed the notifications. The 3rd party app Metal seems to be working for me in place of the Facebook app. Other apps like youtube and my Pebble Smartwatch notification work fine. Still testing battery life but it looks ok for now. GPS appears to work fine with the 1.1b1 kernel, no system lags after using it and it locks just as fast as it did with the stock kernel.

As for OTG, the cable I had now was a DIY mod where I stripped part of the cable and wired the 4th and 5th pins together, works for my Moto G 1st Gen but not for the LG Volt. I ordered two types of OTG cables online, a standard OTG cable and a 'Y' style cable. I can test for OTG again when those cables arrive.

Oh and has it been proven CPU and GPU overclocking were placebos and never worked?

Upvote 0
The regular OTG cable I own doesn't work with any device I have, including a usb flash drive.

Neither does mine, and my Y cable does not either. Hence why I'm interested in the result of your Y cable test, to reduce the probability of a bad Y cable. If neither of ours work, the nexus 4 OTG code will need to be ported.

In theory a self powered USB device should work with the normal OTG cable.

Upvote 0
Neither does mine, and my Y cable does not either. Hence why I'm interested in the result of your Y cable test, to reduce the probability of a bad Y cable. If neither of ours work, the nexus 4 OTG code will need to be ported.

In theory a self powered USB device should work with the normal OTG cable.

The app "USB Host Diagnostics" from chainfire says our device doesn't have support even with your kernel. I tried again to plug my mom's iPhone 4s (should work right?) into my LG Volt. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.usbhostdiagnostics

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-08-15-06-36.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-08-15-06-36.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 0
I see no further issues, running the latest 1.1b1 on ZV6 V.5 Stock Mod. Is there anything I should be testing for or looking for? I truly believe Facebook was the reason for the system lag, I'm avoiding their Android app like the plague and everything seems great. Couldn't really use Greenify on Facebook because I needed the notifications. The 3rd party app Metal seems to be working for me in place of the Facebook app. Other apps like youtube and my Pebble Smartwatch notification work fine. Still testing battery life but it looks ok for now. GPS appears to work fine with the 1.1b1 kernel, no system lags after using it and it locks just as fast as it did with the stock kernel.

As for OTG, the cable I had now was a DIY mod where I stripped part of the cable and wired the 4th and 5th pins together, works for my Moto G 1st Gen but not for the LG Volt. I ordered two types of OTG cables online, a standard OTG cable and a 'Y' style cable. I can test for OTG again when those cables arrive.

Oh and has it been proven CPU and GPU overclocking were placebos and never worked?

Last time you noticed the issues playing Hitman. Let me know if that's gone now.

CPU overclocking was not a placebo but caused the volt uno instability because there wasn't a way to boot at 1.2GHz, it defaulted to 1.6GHz. GPU overclocking so far has been a placebo.

Upvote 0
Last time you noticed the issues playing Hitman. Let me know if that's gone now.

CPU overclocking was not a placebo but caused the volt uno instability because there wasn't a way to boot at 1.2GHz, it defaulted to 1.6GHz. GPU overclocking so far has been a placebo.

I was playing Hitman:Sniper a few moments ago, seems nice. There are some lag spikes and I cannot tell if it's the game or the kernel but overall the game plays alright. No different from when I was playing it yesterday with the stock kernel before I installed your kernel again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If neither of ours work, the nexus 4 OTG code will need to be ported.

Still waiting for the OTG cables in the mail. Maybe in the meantime you could try making a version of the kernel with the Nexus 4 OTG code ported? How hard would that be to do? I don't know the first thing on porting kernel code otherwise I might have already done it myself.

Upvote 0
Still waiting for the OTG cables in the mail. Maybe in the meantime you could try making a version of the kernel with the Nexus 4 OTG code ported? How hard would that be to do? I don't know the first thing on porting kernel code otherwise I might have already done it myself.
Be happy to teach you if you like! I can sit on IRC if you're interested. To be blunt, I haven't done it because I'm not interested in OTG enough to use my free time to get it working.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Got the OTG Y cable! But it does nothing, zilch, nada with the 1.1b1 kernel you provided. I tried compiling a version of the UNO kernel with this patch https://github.com/ziddey/mako/commit/a78f59835568ffde6f1242f36be9a8b8c8d99da4 But I had to do it manually since some spots that needed to be changed did not line up, maybe it wasn't the right code or whatever but I did see something with dmesg. Anyways included are dmesg logs, one for stock while I was messing with the cable, and the other for the version I patched while I messed with the cable. Also included is a compiled version of the UNO kernel with the above patch, that was the only edit. Let me know if you have any further ideas.

What was tested with the OTG Y cable:
USB Mouse "Trekker Wheel Mouse with Gateway box logo", both alone and with external power
USB Thumb drive "SDUSBES1-016G", both alone and with external power

EDIT: Oh darn just saw the IRC log, missed you in the chat room.
EDIT 2: Actually I wouldn't say nothing, it's clearly doing something. dmesg as all sorts of messages but I don't really understand it fully.

Attachments

• dmesg_otgPatch_LOG.txt
    128 KB · Views: 139
  • dmesg_otgNotPatched_LOG.txt
    128 KB · Views: 138
  • volt_dos_1.1b1_otgPatched.zip
    10.3 MB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones