• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Linaro]Volt Dos 1.0b 1/1/16

Hi Spock, I hope you can answer this question. I have a Volt that I have not done much upgrading on. It's got whatever android it came with. I did run a root on it about a year ago. I think towelroot? But can't remember.
I really would like to get this OTG kernel update of yours. I have the file volt_dos_OTG1.zip and I was going to run it thru Flashify. But I just want to make sure I don't brick the phone.
If any of this helps, it's on android 4.4.2, kernel version is 3.4.0+, software version LS740ZV5.
Anyway, I was about to just run it thru Flashify but then it asked me if my backup is CWM or TWRP. I don't have either of those, so I wasn't sure how to proceed. Don't know if you are familiar with Flashify.
Let me know if you have any ideas on how I can update this kernel for OTG.
Thanks for all your help!

Reactions: andMego
Upvote 0
Hi Spock, I hope you can answer this question. I have a Volt that I have not done much upgrading on. It's got whatever android it came with. I did run a root on it about a year ago. I think towelroot? But can't remember.
I really would like to get this OTG kernel update of yours. I have the file volt_dos_OTG1.zip and I was going to run it thru Flashify. But I just want to make sure I don't brick the phone.
If any of this helps, it's on android 4.4.2, kernel version is 3.4.0+, software version LS740ZV5.
Anyway, I was about to just run it thru Flashify but then it asked me if my backup is CWM or TWRP. I don't have either of those, so I wasn't sure how to proceed. Don't know if you are familiar with Flashify.
Let me know if you have any ideas on how I can update this kernel for OTG.
Thanks for all your help!

I'm not ignoring this, just a busy week for me. You want to install TWRP 2.8.7.0, do a backup in it, and then use it to flash the kernel zip. The latest beta I posted somewhere in here also has OTG. I can get more detailed this weekend if you have trouble.

Upvote 0
I'm not ignoring this, just a busy week for me. You want to install TWRP 2.8.7.0, do a backup in it, and then use it to flash the kernel zip. The latest beta I posted somewhere in here also has OTG. I can get more detailed this weekend if you have trouble.
Thanks Spock! No worries, I'm not in a hurry. I may just flash the whole thing and see how it goes. It's a toy phone, but I still use it quite a bit, so I don't want to brick it.
Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.

Upvote 0
Hope everyone's doing great tonight lol. I only had a few percentage bars left on my battery and no way to charge it so I almost lost my phone, but I managed to flash a different kernel with a few minutes to spare. It's working now and everything's ok. I was really hoping to get OTG working so I may attempt to flash this kernel again later and upload some logs to find out why it killed charging on my device.

Upvote 0
Hope everyone's doing great tonight lol. I only had a few percentage bars left on my battery and no way to charge it so I almost lost my phone, but I managed to flash a different kernel with a few minutes to spare. It's working now and everything's ok. I was really hoping to get OTG working so I may attempt to flash this kernel again later and upload some logs to find out why it killed charging on my device.
Are you sure you are using the newest one? I remember that the older ones have issues.
Edit: Is this the one you tried? http://www.mediafire.com/download/gq1yr36rin8n2ha/volt_dos_1.01b5.zip

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you sure you are using the newest one? I remember that the older ones have issues.
Edit: Is this the one you tried? http://www.mediafire.com/download/gq1yr36rin8n2ha/volt_dos_1.01b5.zip

I flashed this exact kernel after I flashed the original, non-beta Volt DOS kernel. I didn't see the newer kernel until later....That's probably why I started having issues....that, and I think it has some hardware issues too. The GPS has been faulty since I got the phone, and I had to take the phone apart and check all its mainboard connections because there for a little while it wouldn't load TWRP. I took it apart and re-did most of the LS740 mainboard connections and that fixed the problem. That said, the phone boots into TWRP now, but it won't take new ROMs. I can succesfully flash new recoveries, but I can only get into TWRP. Device Manager won't detect my phone. I've installed the correct LG Mobile USB drivers and tried two different computers, and I get an error after I connect it via a USB cable....so I can't flash it back to stock with a tot file using the LG Flash Tool. I am using TWRP 3.0 now. I've wiped and reflashed a few ROMs several times with no success. I would donate it to you guys for development, but I think I'm going to keep it for parts. I might try to find a new LG Volt for a good deal if I don't find a way to fix this one.

Upvote 0
They have them on eBay for $20 used

I've been having hardware issues with my Volt, but I just found an unlocked LG Volt on Ebay that cosmetically looks brand new and is in perfect working condition. I was about to give up on looking for one cause all the ones I found looked rough or were brand new but on Virgin Mobile or Boost, and I needed one for Freedompop. She said she bought this one through Freedompop. It comes in a phone case and with a screen protector installed. The owner also said she has taken excellent care of it. I bought if for $21.50! Can't wait to get it :)

It seems like I'm not the only one who has had issues with the GPS. I hope it's not a universal problem with all LG Volts, but i'll have a good idea if that's the case when I get this one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones