Line 2 / ALS Service on Orange... SOME INFO - It does work, sort of...

Last Updated:

1. GSMGuy

GSMGuy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 21, 2010
    As one of the quite small numer of Orange customers that still have a "Line 2" or ALS (Alternate Line Service) as it's known, I had to ask the question before upgrading, as to whether or not the Desire supported line 2..

The hones answer, I was told, is "we don't know" so, as it's important to me, I went ahead with my upgrade anyway..

So.. Does it work or not??

Well, obviously you need a line 2 enabled SIM to even try it... Which I just happen to have..

Anyway, the answer seems to be, that it's "partially" supported at the moment, but not fully.... Let me explain...

If you ring the line2 number whilst the handset is on, it will "ring out" in the calling phone, BUT it does not ring on the handset, indeed, there is no indication whatsoever that it's being called...

HOWEVER, if someone calls line2 whils you are on an active call on the handset (on line one obviously) then you DO get the caller waiting signal, plus caller ID is visible, AND you CAN take the call....

If you send a text to line2, then it DOES come through to the handset...

Lastly, if the handset is turned off, you get the "the person you are calling is temporarily unavailable" message, which is correct, as line2 does not have voicemail.

So, in short, it looks like the handset DOES support line2, but at the moment, it's not fully implemented.. BUT hopefully a software update will cure this...

Hope this info is useful to anyone who has line2/ALS, as in the words of Orange "We don't have any accounts to test it with" as apparently, in the UK there are less than 100 customers with line2, out of over 4.5 million customers...

2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Line 2 used to have voice mail, did before I left 18 months ago.

I remember a similar situation with calls when I got my N80 and line 2. I think for some reason Line 2 set itself to divert or thought it was roaming (so turns itself off).

Pretty sure I had a lot of messing around disabling diverts manually, reapplying them and L2 started working again (auto switching) when I switched to it and back to line 1 again.

It's the only thing I miss from my 14 years at Orange. As had it from the start it was free for me, along with answerfax.
  3. Gantlord

Gantlord New Member

May 10, 2010

It appears you've had some success with line 2 on HTC Desire, was wondering if you've had any further success with it?

I'm looking to upgrade to the Desire so may need to decide whether to ditch the line 2 or choose a different upgrade.

Any advice appreciated,

4. jaybea830802

jaybea830802 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I still have my Line 2 number from when I got my HTC Hero last year, with a permanent temporary absence greeting on it directing people to a different number. I live in hope that one day Line 2 will be fully supported in Android. Orange don't support Line 2 for new subscriptions and if you cancel the line you don't get it back.

I now have a Desire and the situation is no better. You cannot change lines on the phone - you need to take the Sim out and put it in a phone that does support line 2, change the line and then put it back into the Desire. Once you have changed lines you can make calls on Line 2, but you cannot receive them (I was not aware about the call waiting workaround, although it would be pretty expensive to keep the phone permanently on a call to receive line 2 calls as call waiting :))

You could try adding a message to the Android Developer's thread on ALS (Line 2) here, in the hope that someone notices and adds it.

I am using a virtual switchboard and an 0844 number as an alternative, but I would much rather have my Line 2 number back.

There is also an issue raised on Android Project here - add a comment
  5. RobinGB

RobinGB New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I still have Line2 and it has always has had answer phone on both lines, or atleast for the Nokia 6210, 6310, 6310i, and N85 phones I have used on it. You need to switch to line 2 and then set divert on no reply to answerphone (07973 100123). The phone shows a little double sided tape reel to indicate which lines have answer phone messages. Pressing and holding the # key changes between making calls on line1 and line2.

However Orange have now announced that they will turn off the Line2 service on the 1st September 2010, affecting 14,000 that still have it.

There will be many like me now looking for an "Active Dual sim" phone. Active is different to Passive. Obviously there is the 2 card sim holders which you can use in almost any phone, but these are classified as passive (only one sim can be active at any time). Currently there are a few chineese phones that support Dual "Active" sims, and Nokia have the newly announced C1 and C2 but these are just basic phones. I need/want something like the N86 or E72 with Dual active sims, i.e. a highend phone.

Good luck.