"Link All" in 2.1 Contacts (People)?General

Last Updated:

1. lessit

lessit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yup, I'm on 2.1 and noticed that there is a little link icon next to a persons name in the People app. When you press it you have the opportunity to link that contact to a Facebook friend OR you can link to All. What is the All link for?

Advertisement
  2. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

I dunno. When I press it it brings up the keyboard and a new contact list. I wasn't brave enough to go further.

3. lessit

lessit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tapped a contact and it went back to the link screen. It shows the current contact as "linked" to the other. Any ideas why?

4. cebrew

cebrew Member

I've been wondering what this is for too. Does anyone know what the "All" options is for?

5. bjoneslord

bjoneslord New Member

It seems to me that the "All" options allows you to link with another contact from your contacts list condensing the 2 contacts into 1 contact. Later you can unlink them by clicking the icon in the upper right.

6. E.two.one

E.two.one Well-Known Member

hahaha...i am in the same boat. not brave enough to explore this feature, for fear of screwing up all my contacts.

hopefully someone more knowledgeable (or more braver) will chime in and explain it to us.

7. infernosoft

infernosoft Member

I'm having the same Issue. I have many duplicate contacts and need to link them all. anyone figure out how to do this?

8. Mark16q

Mark16q Well-Known Member

My experience with that feature was BAD. I have a large database of contacts imported from Outlook, as well as a group from Gmail. When I updated to 2.1, it linked any similar accounts (which I dont want to happen). So when I'd go to text it would ask me which one I wanted. I send large text groups out, so I'd have to answer this over 30 times for each group text...not fun.

To fix it, I had to manually unlink each contact and things then functioned well.

Some of the links it made even made no sense, completely unrelated contacts. Not a good feature that google even acknowledged on their developer site was over-aggressive and they were "looking into it".

my .02...

9. HunterJohnson

HunterJohnson Well-Known Member

I believe all is used if you have multiple contact accounts. say a gmail account, exhange server account, contacts that are just stored on your phone, ect. ( I have a school email account xxx@odu.edu; they do not allow contacts to be synced b/c they have not "enabled" this feature).

Say I had someone who I worked with from my exchange server, who also was in my gmail account, and went to the same school as I did, I could have all there info show up as one contact card in my peoples app.