• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help link facebook friend photo with contact?

Ugh. AUGHGHGHGH. I have been trying for three days now, since I bought the phone (a Samsung GalaxyS - the AT&T version (Captivate) ) and it will not sync. I've gotten an error message for three days now.

My main thing is I want the pictures for my contacts! I'm not about to start manually adding pictures.

First time I've been with an Android. Had a windows smartphone since 1995 or 6 or whenever they were first invented - and I've never had a problem, any problem whatsoever, instantly syncing all my Outlook, gmail, and Facebook contacts to my phone, with pictures.

This is SO frustrating. For me it will be a deal breaker - they're holding the HTC Tilt2 (wm6.5) at the store in case I decide to give up on Android.

Love the screen, love the great sound, but I have 2,000 contacts on my phone, so if this doesn't get fixed I'll have to give up and wait till later to try Android.

Upvote 0
I don't want to do a Facebook sync (what a mess that'd make of my contact list). What I WOULD like is the ability to go into the Facebook app (from the marketplace), browse a person's photos, and select a specific one of their photos (maybe not their profile pic) to use as their contact photo.

For some reason, you can only do this using your OWN photos, not other users'.

Upvote 0
I don't want to do a Facebook sync (what a mess that'd make of my contact list). What I WOULD like is the ability to go into the Facebook app (from the marketplace), browse a person's photos, and select a specific one of their photos (maybe not their profile pic) to use as their contact photo.

For some reason, you can only do this using your OWN photos, not other users'.

This may not be too much help considering how long it would take, but you could always goto their picture on facebook, save it to SD, and then use that pic as their contact picture.

Upvote 0
This may not be too much help considering how long it would take, but you could always goto their picture on facebook, save it to SD, and then use that pic as their contact picture.

It's not possible to save photos from within the Facebook Android app. Right now I'm doing it on the PC then transferring them over, which is tedious.

You can select which friends you want to sync. You don't have to import all Facebook contacts although that is an option.

Except that changes their contact photo to whatever random pic they've chosen for their Facebook profile. A lot of my friends/family change theirs frequently like one changes t-shirts, often to something of little relevance. I want pictures of their face for the contact photo, which I can usually find by digging around their other photos. I also don't want it to change from whatever I set it to.

Upvote 0
FINALLY got my FB contacts to sync last night. It took a good wifi signal and after I had imported my friends through the "Get Friends" trick above, it would finally sync them through Accounts & Sync.

I seriously think the connection has everything to do with it, because I couldnt even get the "Get Friends" trick to even remotely work on 3G or a poor wifi connection, however once I tried it on my network after I installed a new router yesterday, all my contacts appeared in a flash. I'm still getting the occational sync error for either the contacts or the calendar but I have it syncing every hour right now just try try it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones