Link2SD and you (a tutorial)

Last Updated:

1. sushifor5

sushifor5 Well-Known Member

OK, I sorted that way and it shows me three apps: Link2sd, Market and TBPro. So, funny question...can I link Link2sd to sd card?

Advertisement
  2. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Just don't boot the phone and forget to insert the uSD.
    benslgdroid likes this.
  3. MacFett

sushifor5 likes this.
  4. sushifor5

great, funny screen shot...good answer! :)

so, how about home replacement launchers? yay or nay on linking? TIA!
  5. MacFett

You really can link anything. I hust had a problem where I booted my phone without card and had a mess of my widgets.
  6. benslgdroid

benslgdroid rockstar Guide

I did :p
  7. exProphecy

exProphecy Well-Known Member

I created an ext4 partition. Is that more beneficial than making it just a regular ext partition? hehe =P
  8. benslgdroid

It all depends on the rom and what its compatible with.
  9. Prometheus_

Prometheus_ Well-Known Member

I seem to have completely screwed my sd card. How would I go about restoring my SD card to a normal, non-2 partition state using MiniTool?
  10. MacFett

Select the partitions and delete then confirm.
  11. Prometheus_

Yeah, I ended up clearing all the partitions, creating a new one, resizing it, then making a second one. After a true reboot, not the Link2SD reboot, everything worked fine. Had to move apps from sd to phone in order to get Link to move them to the second partition.
  12. Prometheus_

After flashing a new build I had to wipe my card again, then rebuild the two partitions. :/
  13. benslgdroid

You should only need to wipe the partition through the recovery then restore you're apps with titanium you will have to relink.
  14. Prometheus_

I did the standard clear cache/dalvik, clear all user data, then the "Under mounts, format boot, system, data, and cache". After, it wouldn't recognize the second partition. Is there a method to wipe the second partition via recovery?
  15. benslgdroid

I always select format on the main menu it wipes everything in one shot including the partition
  16. sushifor5

Can someone explain to me what these different functions are within Link2sd?

Refresh
    Relink Library files
    Link dalvik-cache files
    Clean up the 2nd partition
    Clean up the dalvik-cache

Thanks much!
  17. Prometheus_

Refresh refreshes the app list.
    Relink library files relinks library files for your linked apps I believe.
    I assume Link dalvik-cache files links your dalvik cache, which is some sort of cache.
    Dunno bout clean 2nd partition does. Remove old app data?
    I believe cleaning the dalvik cache is like clearing an average cache, however not 100% sure.
  18. sushifor5

OK, but what actually happens when I hit "refresh?" I'm a little wary of trying things on the phone I don't understand, LOL. what does it mean to refresh an app and why would I want to do it?

And I'm wondering why I would want to link dalvik-cache files...what the impact would be.

TIA!
  19. Prometheus_

No, refresh just refreshes the app list that you're looking at, in case any changes were made and it didn't recognize them.
    I dunno why you'd wanna link the dalvik cache. To free up space?
  20. exProphecy

exProphecy Well-Known Member

AHH I realized I should be asking this question here instead of the BACKside thread. xD Two questions pweez!

Let's say I was going to flash a new version of the ROM. If I use Link2SD and I proceed to wipe the cache partition and wipe the dalvik-cache, will it cause problems? Will it wipe my dalvik-cache on my sd-ext properly?

Finally, if I use Link2SD and an app automatically installs onto SD (instead of Link2SD moving it to my ext4 partition), does the stock app2sd function move the library files and dalvik files onto my SD card as well? Or just the app itself is moved to my SD card?
  21. benslgdroid

I saw your question on backside first first so I answered it there.
    exProphecy likes this.
  22. benslgdroid

Theres a new update but if your just getting used to it I would avoid it there's all new menu set up that doesn't do anything different but confuse things I get what the dev was doing by splitting everything up but the one most are using is so much more simplistic so I wouldn't update. I'm sure there will be alot of new how do I's and I'll help as much as I can but honestly its been confusing to me too.
  23. derousse

derousse Member

Thanks for the great tutorial. I've successfully rooted my Opt V and installed Link2SD and am very glad that I can now install more apps. (The partitioning program did mess up my SD card along the way which caused me to have to reinstall many of my old apps, but I've got that all straightened out now).

I do have one issue though.

The Android Market app doesn't seem to know about all of the Apps on my phone any more. Previously when I selected "My apps" in the Android Market app, it would list all of the apps that I installed and let me know which had updates. Now, all I see is 3 installed apps: Google Maps, Music, and YouTube. Is this because I have all of my downloaded apps linked with Link2SD? Those 3 apps are also linked so I'm not sure why they would show up, but the others don't.

Does anyone else have this problem or ideas on how to fix it?
  24. benslgdroid

Settings>app>manage app>market >clear cache. then run market again and it should work. If not do the same but clear the data.
    derousse likes this.
  25. derousse

derousse Member

Clearing the data fixed the issue. Thanks!