• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Linked contacts display name

I've done a search and couldn't find any definitive answer and couldn't figure it out on my own.

Is there a way to select which name you want to display for linked contacts? For example, I have a contact with 4 linked profiles (phone, google, facebook, twitter); It is displaying the twitter name and I'd rather it display the actual name (from any of the other linked profiles). When i go to edit this contact, the first name and last name is what i want it to display, yet it still display the twitter name.

I've never figured out how to get it to work, I've tried every possible combination of unlinking, editing, saving, re-linking, etc.

In the end, I removed my twitter from accounts (so it doesn't show up in my contact list), as I'm using the native twitter app, without syncing contacts.

You say that you're having the same problem on your Droid 2, which is running Froyo. I was hoping the Froyo update for the X would have fixed this, but it might not be the case since you're experiencing this too. This is really unfortunate.

Upvote 0
I've never figured out how to get it to work, I've tried every possible combination of unlinking, editing, saving, re-linking, etc.

In the end, I removed my twitter from accounts (so it doesn't show up in my contact list), as I'm using the native twitter app, without syncing contacts.

You say that you're having the same problem on your Droid 2, which is running Froyo. I was hoping the Froyo update for the X would have fixed this, but it might not be the case since you're experiencing this too. This is really unfortunate.
It's very frustrating. For whatever reason it seems to give priority to the other accounts like Twitter & Facebook over the Phone & Google accounts. For example, I also removed Twitter from my list of accounts but now the Facebook names are showing instead of the Phone or Google names.

I've been trying the same thing as you... unlinking, re-linking, trying different methods of linking (eg: linking the Google account to the Facebook and the other way around, linking the Facebook account to the Google account), removing & re-adding my FB credentials, etc., all with no luck.

Upvote 0
I think, and I'm saying this is what worked for me...
Start by Un-linking them if you've already linked some up.
Pull up the contact you don't want to keep the name for and link it to the one you do want the name to be.

Example.
John Doe (do not want this name)
John Doe Sr. (this is the correct name)

Pull up "John Doe", click hard menu button, select Link contact, select "John Doe Sr.".

Upvote 0
I think, and I'm saying this is what worked for me...
Start by Un-linking them if you've already linked some up.
Pull up the contact you don't want to keep the name for and link it to the one you do want the name to be.

Example.
John Doe (do not want this name)
John Doe Sr. (this is the correct name)

Pull up "John Doe", click hard menu button, select Link contact, select "John Doe Sr.".

That didn't work for me either. *sigh* :(

Upvote 0
still having this problem, like everyone else, have tried all options. i don't remember having this problem with my droid 1...there was an option to select priority of linked contacts I believe. that needs to be included with an update asap!

for the meantime, deleting my twitter accounts from my accounts and just using tweetcaster helps...but that seems like a silly solution.

Upvote 0
This works for me, (on Dell Streak5 2.2.2 official ROM) I can't guarantee that it'll work for you, but can I guarantee that it's worth a try. :D

Separate all of the different accounts linked to the main contact and then go to edit (from the main contact as this is the name that you want to use) go to join and join then one by one to the main contact.

Alternatively, create a new contact with the name that you'd want to be used and input a phone number as it won't save it otherwise.
Once it's done, go to edit contact (this same contact that you have just created )and then go to join and join then all together one by one always starting from the number that you'd want to use as your identifier.

I hope that my instructions are clear enough for you all to follow, if not, ask away and I'll try to make myself more clear.

It's all clear in my head, but English is my second language (I'm Spanish) so it's slightly more difficult to put it into words.

Upvote 0
This works for me, (on Dell Streak5 2.2.2 official ROM) I can't guarantee that it'll work for you, but can I guarantee that it's worth a try. :D

Separate all of the different accounts linked to the main contact and then go to edit (from the main contact as this is the name that you want to use) go to join and join then one by one to the main contact.

Alternatively, create a new contact with the name that you'd want to be used and input a phone number as it won't save it otherwise.
Once it's done, go to edit contact (this same contact that you have just created )and then go to join and join then all together one by one always starting from the number that you'd want to use as your identifier.

I hope that my instructions are clear enough for you all to follow, if not, ask away and I'll try to make myself more clear.

It's all clear in my head, but English is my second language (I'm Spanish) so it's slightly more difficult to put it into words.

Your directions make sense. However, on my DroidX, neither method you provided helps.

Thank you. Hopefully this will be corrected sometime in the next year...I may just upgrade to an HTC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones