linking contactsSupport

Last Updated:

1. tgg1304

tgg1304 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 3, 2010
    when linking google contacts with phone contacts, how to i control which name it saves the contact under. for example: if john doe is saved as johnny in phone contacts and mr. doe in email, how can i select which name id like it to be saved as? i have a lot of friends in my phone contacts saved under nick names but once linked many have converted over to a different name. its much easier to look them up under the name i know them as.

i guess basically what im asking is when linking 2 contacts is there a way to have one take priority over the other?

even when i go into edit the contact from mr doe to johnny, the name johnny is clearly still showing in the contact edit option

2. e5116

e5116 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    This is one thing I've found very annoying about the syncing abilities. Based on my experience, if you've selected to sync your contacts to facebook, the name that they put on facebook always takes precedence over any other source. There are a few people I had to create new contacts for and not link to facebook (so doesn't link to the fb picture anymore, which I liked, although I could simply save the facebook pic as a file and assign it to the contact quite easily) because I simply did not want it to display the name as it's shown on facebook. I've tried long and hard searching for an answer on the net and messing around with the phone, and based on what I've found, there's no way to make the facebook name not take priority over the google name, etc. But if somebody has a method, I'm certainly all ears.

Edit: In your above situation, though, you aren't even mentioning facebook, just google contacts and phone contacts. I haven't tested that out as much, but I think google contacts takes precedence over phone contacts. By the way, I'm fairly certain with HTC sense phones there is a way to change the display name while maintaining the linking, but on the Droid X, it appears you have to unlink it if you don't like the display name as there is a set hierarchy that is unchangeable.