Linking Facebook contact pictures on Eris 2.1General

Last Updated:

1. DystopianFr33k

DystopianFr33k New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, I just finished the update to Android 2.1 on my Droid Eris. It looks beautiful, and even though it took a second to sync my contacts, it finally did it. My problem, however, is that before the update, I had all my contacts that had Facebooks linked with them so their pictures on my phone would be the pictures from their facebooks, and now that the update has come around, it links to their facebooks, but their pictures are all still blank. I hit update under their contact, but it just shows recent status updates and the picture remains blank. Is there anyway to update their pics?

Advertisement
  2. knudsen81

knudsen81 Well-Known Member

I think you need to give it time, on my hero with custom 2.1 rom it took a long time to update my contacts with facebook

3. dhrandy

dhrandy Well-Known Member

Did you restart you phone?

4. iamtooproud

iamtooproud Active Member

Im having the same problem. Using the Facebook widget, it force closes.... and it won't allow me to sync from Facebook at all, just from my Google account.... URGH

5. dragonbro

dragonbro Well-Known Member

Try Menu > Settings > accounts & sync > check facebook for HTC Sense > sync now

Might need a push

Fremdroid likes this.
  6. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

After doing what dragonbro said, I went to my people app. It took my contacts a very long time. I just scrolled down through my list of contacts very slowly until they finally all synced. It probably took 20 minutes to sync 250 contacts.

Fremdroid likes this.
  7. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member

Some of the photos in my contacts (from Facebook) are showing the person's body but not their face. How I can properly align the photo?

8. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member

My wife received the update last night OTA. I downloaded it and let it do its thing. Her contacts took a while to sync. Then for some reason, none of the FB pictures would sync. I went to contacts -> menu and then checked Facebook. From then on it synced up fine. The only problem my wife seems to have now is that on the Favorite Contact Widget, the pictures seem to be really blurry. They are the same pictures that are synced up from Facebook. Anyone know of a fix for that? Or is it just a Facebook issue.

9. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member

It took me 15 minutes to sync my contacts with Facebook. I also had to do this manually.

I'm not going to say this is a bug. I think it's just the mass amount of people getting the upgrade.

10. thirtyfour41

thirtyfour41 Well-Known Member

My Facebook contacts linked to my Google ones eventually, but now some of them crash when I open them. It's mostly the ones with photos that don't have the little "F" in the corner for Facebook. Any of the others work, but these force close. Any work arounds or fixes yet?

11. iamtooproud

iamtooproud Active Member

I tried to sync from the settings>accounts & sync but it still won't allow me to sync my contacts.

I also tried to link them manually through the People (contacts), and it still won't allow me.

However, my contact card has synced up to facebook...

12. CAM427R

CAM427R Member

I'm having the same issue. If I go into each contact card and try to tell it to sync to a Facebook profile, it doesn't find all of my Facebook friends, it seems to only find the ones who also have a phone with HTC Sense.

13. greenmunky

greenmunky Well-Known Member

After syncing Facebook manually under settings it only synced my contacts from Facebook who's name started with a "d"or higher in the alphabet. If i try to link someone's contact card to a Facebook for HTC Sense contact it doesn't show me the entire list of friends that i have, just the beginning of the alphabet up to "D", really frustrating. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

14. greenmunky

Upon closer inspection I believe that Facebook for HTC Sense is only syncing my first 100 Facebook friends. How can I get it to sync the rest? I've unchecked Facebook from the Sync menu and then rechecked it, I've tried manually linking those friends but I can't find any Facebook friend who's first name begins with the letter D or lower in the alphabet. This is ridiculous.

15. greenmunky

So yeah... SyncMyPix is amazing, it synced the pics from all my contacts to their Facebook counterparts. Quite awesome, my problem is solved. Hope this helps.

soreal and W4LLY like this.
  16. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

..downloading this now..if this works, I will love you long time.

17. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

holy shit, it works!

18. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

You have to realize that thousands of people that recently got the upgrade are doing the same thing, and at the same time the servers are handling the rest of the ota rollout as well as the usual everyday network traffic.

So don't be surprised if things are a bit slow.

19. cmertin

cmertin Active Member

I haven't upgraded yet though I'm wondering, has anyone gotten the com.htc.bg force close error on their new 2.1 OTA upgrade?

20. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Toolanddiemaker likes this.
  21. greenmunky

Yes, I've had the same issue but side from being simply annoying i haven't noticed that it really had any kind of performance effect.

22. gtbensley

gtbensley Member

Im getting pretty fed up with this not being able to sync facebook to my contacts....someone needs to figure this out.

23. MirrorriM

MirrorriM Member

I cant get the favorite contacts widget to display their FB picture. Everything is sync'ed, pics show up in People, they have the little f in their contact info, and the chain link to fb profile, just wont show up in the widget!
    Haha, as I was typing this I decided to see if I could fix it by removing the widget and putting it back. As I was holding down on the widget to remove it, suddenly all the pictures popped up! All their pics sharp and accurate. yay

24. gtbensley

gtbensley Member

I also tried this and ended up removing the widget and now cant get it back. Any ideas?

25. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member

Even manually linking individual contacts, my wife's Eris only has up through the letter "L" available in "Facebook for HTC Sense." If I go to manually link a contact with a first name higher than "L," it's not there.

I wonder if it's sweeping through slowly, or if there's a bug that will have to be fixed by a push. I don't want to replace the app yet.