• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

linking facebook with contacts on 2.1

I have a question: I DON'T want people linked to facebook through my phone AT ALL. I also have issues with the pictures importing to my phonebook and I don't want that. I have personal pics I'd rather use. But I also don't want everyone's info on my phone. I did the update, and it automatically linked everything back to facebook. It's unchecked on my phone, but yet stuff is still there. I'm fairly new to droid, even though I got it back in February, but I had to do a complete factory reset after the update to fix some minor, but really really annoying, bugs.

So, the issue I've had is I want to use one personal pic for someone, but it won't let me change the facebook pic, even after I've saved the change. Which has made me decide what's written above. Does not want facebook.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
yeah, I hate how i'll be typing a number in the dial pad and random facebook friends of mine will come up (i'm assuming they have their #'s listed on their profile), but i don't have them in my phonebook. is there a way to unlink them? there obviously not in my phonebook, but only showing up because they are my fb friends.

Upvote 0
yeah, I hate how i'll be typing a number in the dial pad and random facebook friends of mine will come up (i'm assuming they have their #'s listed on their profile), but i don't have them in my phonebook. is there a way to unlink them? there obviously not in my phonebook, but only showing up because they are my fb friends.

When you go into PEOPLE, click Menu, then click View, uncheck Facebook. Or in same menu leave Facebook checked and check only contacts with phone number.

Upvote 0
You're right that it's weird to not see the entire list of friends when you go through the steps you mentioned. It sounds like your phone isn't downloading your friend list from Facebook like it should. Something must be stopping that from happening. Things to check include:

1. Is mobile network enabled?
2. On the Facebook web site, is HTC Sense listed under Account>Application Settings>Granted Additional Permissions>Offline Access?
3. Did you try disabling Google contacts sync and then manually hitting "sync now" on the Facebook for HTC Sense sync settings?
4. Have you tried logging OUT of the Facebook app and then restarting the phone?
5. Do you have any task killers running?
6. Is Google calendar sync enabled? (Pretty sure it has to be enabled in order to sync other items that depend on a sync schedule.)

Other than those troubleshooting steps, I don't know what else to try.

#4 on this one worked for me. Slowly but surely all my contacts synced correctly. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Still having problems and it's driving me nuts! Pictures wont stay synced, some contacts have many phone #s listed, depending on what they have on their profile. So annoying. I don't want to have to choose which number to dial when I click on a favorite, I want it to just dial their primary #! What do I do to fix this??

Upvote 0
I'm trying to figure this out as well. I sync my contacts only with Outlook using HTC Sync. After the 2.1 update I tried syncing for the first time and got a ton of duplicates in Outlook which I had to delete manually.

But then I started noticing some of my photos weren't the ones I had manually added, they were the Facebook photos. And there were duplicate numbers showing up in some places (such as my SMS app & dialer).

I see that there is a new 'Linked' section with contacts. But it's a bit confusing to see what's going on here. For instance, what would 'press to link to All contacts' do? And I don't see a way to be selective about what's linked (ie - no photo, just other items).

So, is there a detailed description or manual anywhere that would show how this is SUPPOSED to work??? I had the Incredible manual downloaded, but this only briefly glances over it. And there appear to be features with the Incredible that aren't offered here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones