• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Linking to PC, keep getting "Please insert a disk..."

minniemlh

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
I'm trying to copy pictures/videos from my phone to my PC. I've set the usb settings > mass storage, I've done the pulldown on the notifications and the Mount. My PC shows the device and will even show the folders, but when I click on a folder (DCIM) it again gives me the "please insert a disk.." message, and properties show the folder is empty. when I disconnect the cable, pull down, turn off USB, etc...then I look at the SD and the DCIM folder has data (?????????) Help!

plug it into the usb, you might have to download the samsung drivers. When the window pops up click on open to explore. After that on your phone you will get little USB symbol in your notification bar, drag that down and click on mount on your phone. You then should be able to double click on the mass storage device.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I already did that several times. I've downloaded & installed the driver several times from internet and most recently re-installed from the popup when I attach the cable. I've also done the notification bar & Mount on my phone. Then "please attach disk" goes away and I even get Windows EXplorer to list the folders. So you would think the problem is solved, but when I click on the DCIM folder (or any folder), I get the same "please insert a disk..." message again. I'm attaching a screen print, showing the DCIM hilited & please attach msg... hope that helps...
moz-screenshot.png

Attachments

• Insert Disk DCIM.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0
Here we are almost 20 hours later... Yes it is really strange that in Widows Explorer the Fascinate sd card shows as a cd drive with drivers on it ...but if you wait, it switches to just a 'removable device'. Still the same problems (please insert disk) even after the DCIM folder shows. after many hours of frustration following all the advice on both this forum and Verizon Fascinate, I called Verizon Support. Hour and a half later, they said it is a known bug and Samsung has no ETA on update to fix software. Doesn't happen to every one. Recommended workaround is to insert sd card in computer (need to hit Walmart tomorrow for adapter) . Or use VCast Media Player. Loaded Vcast to PC and phone, copied a couple of videos (very slow). Tried to open the videos on PC, had to sign into Verizon acct, which crashed whenever I tried to play the video. Not to mention I think the pics go to VCAST lala-land server or something vs. my PC where I want them.
SO MY WORKAROUND WAS:
1) I went to my son's PC (Windows 7), attached phone and connected perfectly (did take 3 tries). I clicked Autoplay popup option "import pictures" - an option that didn't show on my pc.
2) Copied pics/video from his PC to USB flash drive
3) Copied pics/video from USB flash drive to my PC (Vista)
And they call this a "Smart" phone?????? I was lovin' it before today. ARRRGGG

Upvote 0
I would be curious if others experiencing this have Windows 7 or it's just Vista & older??
Prior to this I had turned off the Autoplay cuz it was annoying when using USB port just to charge other devices. I went to control panel to turn back on, but maybe I missed something??
Vcast free only good until you get to 500M of stuff, then $3.99 & up per month - on top of the $29.99 data pkg Vzon already charges.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones