• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Lint/Dust Under Droid Screen

Tengoku

Lurker
Nov 10, 2009
I've got two small pieces of lint stuck under my droid screen, does anyone else have this issue?

They are small, but it still bugs me knowing that they are there and I can see them if I look really closely.

well they arent really lint, more like dust pieces...

is this enough to get it replaced? or is there any way to get those pieces out somehow?

Thanks in advance.

This is something I've worried about since every motorola Ive ever had has gone through this issue. Even the first few blackberries I had got this. Fortunately, the blackberries were easy to take apart and blow the dust out. This seems like its going to be a pain.

Ive noticed Ive got a lot of dust under the glass on my camera already just after a week.

Upvote 0
I've been lucky so far with my Droid, so when I saw this thread I decided to check my phone. I noticed that I definitely have some dust under the screen in the upper left corner :(

This has never happened with any other phones that I've owned. I guess the only way to really prevent it would be to get some kind of carrying case or holster (ugh).

Hopefully this isn't a widespread issue. I'm debating if it's worth returning it for a new phone.

Upvote 0
I've been lucky so far with my Droid, so when I saw this thread I decided to check my phone. I noticed that I definitely have some dust under the screen in the upper left corner :(

This has never happened with any other phones that I've owned. I guess the only way to really prevent it would be to get some kind of carrying case or holster (ugh).

Hopefully this isn't a widespread issue. I'm debating if it's worth returning it for a new phone.

Yeah I'm debating too! I noticed I have a couple specks on the right edge of my screen that are just really annoying considering the price of the phone and all. Plus, most people seem not to have this problem. I'm wondering, is it possible to exchange the phone for this? Or will Verizon just turn you away?

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm debating too! I noticed I have a couple specks on the right edge of my screen that are just really annoying considering the price of the phone and all. Plus, most people seem not to have this problem. I'm wondering, is it possible to exchange the phone for this? Or will Verizon just turn you away?

I took my storm back the day before I got my Droid. Showed them the dust under the screen. They sent me a new storm in the mail a couple days later. They did it as a warranty exchange at no charge. At that point I had the Droid, now I have a shiny new never used storm on ebay.

Point of the story is, yes Verizon will work with you. Also 8 months into a 1 year contract you see a little dust under your screen and there's a new phone you want. That dust isn't so bad to deal with for a couple months when the new hotness is coming and you want full price for your old phone.

Upvote 0
I actually returned my first droid because of this. I had two fairly large dust particles under the top left portion of the screen. The first Verizon store told me it was a scratch...I laughed and showed them the video of the guy who takes a sharp key to his screen. They said it was fake. I laughed and tried to explain to them that not all of their customers are extremely gullible.

The next store I went to said you can exchange your phone for a new one within 14 days, no matter what the reason...so I took advantage of that. As soon as I got the new one, I put on one of the hard plastic / leather cases from verizon that snaps around the edge of the screen. Although it adds a little bulk, it really seals the edges of the screen that are vulnerable to small pieces of dust. It also gets rid of any 'give' between the screen and keyboard, which I like.

Overall, if it's bothering you...try and exchange it. It was worth it in my case.

Upvote 0
I've got two small pieces of lint stuck under my droid screen, does anyone else have this issue?

They are small, but it still bugs me knowing that they are there and I can see them if I look really closely.

well they arent really lint, more like dust pieces...

is this enough to get it replaced? or is there any way to get those pieces out somehow?

Thanks in advance.

My Storm 1 I returned because of the same issue and this was six month into having it in my possession. I simply went into my local VZW store showed them the dust and they went to the back brought out and new one and transferred all my stuff. That simple. So I say if you are not happy with your phone take it back.

Upvote 0
Woke up this morning to find more dust or particles of some type under the screen of my 2nd droid. I'm not happy. I'm thinking of returning it and getting the HTC Eris..which I believe will have version 2.0 of Android soon based on Verizon's firmware documents out there on the web. Anyone else seeing dust fairies magically appearing under your droid's screen?

Upvote 0
I keep my phone in my pocket at work, and the tiny dot I had before has turned into MILLIONS. I am dead serious. I have a load of dust particles under the screen! You can see it on any screen tons of black dust. This is very unacceptable. I need to go exchange it. I have never had a problrm with dust like this with any phone ever so this has to be a hardware issue for motorola. Seeing that it isn't a highly discussed issue, it better be only certain launch day models. This is absurd. Ill try and post a pic soon.

Update: Here are the pics I took Picasa Web Albums - amaroth - Dusty droid

Here is one of them http://lh5.ggpht.com/_UyV5LTkb1BQ/Swzq3BvUlzI/AAAAAAAAATY/IV10sjE5BKg/1125090001.jpg

I completely wiped off any dust and oil/smudges from the screen. All the dots and lines you see are UNDER THE SCREEN/GLASS. It is just loaded with DUST.

Upvote 0
Man that sucks, mine isn't quite that bad but I'm sure it'll get worse.

What I've noticed, is a small gap between the case and screen on the left side of my handset. There's already some dust in the gap, which makes it a bit easier to notice. There is no gap on the right side, top, or bottom. My co-worker has a droid that he carries in his pocket, and he hasn't had any dust issues. I checked his phone, and I don't see any gaps around his screen. Also, most of the dust accumulates in the upper left corner of the phone, with one bigger particle in the middle of the screen.

I'm going to try to take a picture of it to post. Could everyone else check their phones to see if they notice any gaps where dust has accumulated?

Upvote 0
No dust here and no gaps on either side. This is a pretty general problem to all phones, the iPhone 3G had it really bad and it was widespread. Best thing to do is exchange it if you notice any dust because it is only going to get worse, and try to examine your new phone with a small LED flashlight, it should help you find any gaps where dust could make it's way in.

Upvote 0
On my 2nd droid and still notice on the bottom left of the screen there are some blemishes...almost look like actual artifacts from the glass that are visible when the screen is off and a black spec on the screen...not seeing dust per say..but it seems as though all these droids have something going on with their screens if you look close enough. It's not bothering me so much this time around and since the worry free guarantee only covers 1 swap...well, i'm kinda stuck with this one.

Upvote 0
I have my third Droid now and so far so good. The sucky thing is that best buy said that after this exchange all further problems would have to be sent in for repairs. I was never informed of this prior to getting the black tie warrenty plan. I was given the impression I would be able to exchange my phone due to damage or whatever for however long I pay 9 dollard a month for. This is not the case apparently. So this droid I have better not get dusty or ill just explode.

Upvote 0
I only have dust under my screen near the speaker that put up to your ear. I just noticed it the other day and I've had my phone for about 2 months. I don't see any dust along the sides. But where I see it by the ear piece it appears to be a cone shape. Like it entered at a small opening around the ear piece and fanned out. In any event...there should be ZERO dust under the screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones