• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Liquid damage

Silver17

Lurker
Sep 12, 2010
I did the stupidest thing possible yesterday and dropped my desire into a cup of tea.

Only had my phone 3 weeks, can't believe it. Only the bottom quarter of the phone was submerged and I took it out in seconds.

I shook most of the tea out and attempted to dry it with a hair dryer on cool setting. However most of the liquid went inside the area which you can't get at unless you unscrew it (which will completely void the warranty).

Ive been drying it out the best I can in an airing cupboard, but have done the stupid thing and attempted to turn my phone on as I needed it urgently to make a call.

The phone worked but got really hot and the power button no longer works. I quickly shut the phone down.. but I now realise I never should have turned it on at all. This morning I can't even get it past the HTC screen.

The 2 water damage stickers on the battery and phone which I can find are both still white, so Im unsure as to whether I could attempt to return it to Phones for You as they have a 28 days returns policy, and claim the phone is faulty.

I haven't got phone insurance. :(

Any advice?

No household insurance? I understand many household insurance policies wont cover a cellphone, but mine does, try there first. As for the return... what do you have to loose.
For those who dont know..
If you should drop your phone into water take it apart as much as the manufacturer wants you to, ie back off, sim out, chip out and of course battery out. Open all covers and completely cover the device with rice. Not pudding rice out of a tin! but ordinary, every day dried rice. Leave it till you can stand it no longer, and then add a week. The longer you leave it the better chance you have.
Saying that, it is probably the milk that has made your electronics warm up.

Try turning on with the chip and sim out as well, it might be a fault there..

More tea vicar? one lump or two?

Upvote 0
Look up the bag of rice trick, I did it with the Palm Pilot over 10 years ago when it got dunked in a rather deep puddle, and it worked. Since water damage isn't covered by warranty and the warranty is likely voided now, you may as well disassemble the bodies and do not spray any kind of liquid removal or even try to turn it on (too late, you already did), fill a bowl halfway with dry rice and place the Desire on top then add more rice ontop of it and leave for at least 3 days.

Though you COULD try returning the phone and saying it's faulty as long as you get rid of visible evidence of water damage, it might work.

Upvote 0
I remember being told a few years ago that you should immediately put your phone (battery removed of course) in a jar of methylated spirits if you have water damage. Apparently prevents the circuits from rusting, and gives the phone a better chance of survival. Anyone heard anything like that before? I'm not endorsing this method, just repeating what a tech told me at one of those repair centres.

Upvote 0
I remember being told a few years ago that you should immediately put your phone (battery removed of course) in a jar of methylated spirits if you have water damage. Apparently prevents the circuits from rusting, and gives the phone a better chance of survival. Anyone heard anything like that before? I'm not endorsing this method, just repeating what a tech told me at one of those repair centres.
My concern with that advice would be the effect solvents have on some plastics. :eek:

I'd definitely ignore it and go with the rice and/or vacuum advice instead.

Upvote 0
Well isn't that the point in taking it back under the 28 day returns and not under warranty? (i.e replaced in store not from manufacturer)
I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that it's going to be ok with the store for someone to take back a phone under the 28 day return agreement for the reason that it's been dropped in liquid? I can't believe they'd go for that.

Upvote 0
The rice thing works well. did for me with my hero anyway. however the problem is it was tea not clean water. I know it seems counter intuitive but really you should try to wash out the tea using pure distilled water like the type they sell for putting in irons or car engines. When the tea (especially if there was sugar in it) residue is gone you can then use the vacuum/rice methods to remove 100% of the pure distilled water. ideally you should dry it for several days before trying to turn it on. My hero was fully submerged and made a full recovery.

Upvote 0
Well isn't that the point in taking it back under the 28 day returns and not under warranty? (i.e replaced in store not from manufacturer)

If there's no screen damage and the water damage stickers haven't indicated then I can't see a problem.
No. 28 day returns are for manufacturing faults, not being silly enough to drop in your drink.

They will test it, and when they find you've dunked it (it really is very obvious to a trained tech), add a note to your file so you wont be able to claim easily from them in future for any faults.

It's why dedicated phone insurance pays to get.

Upvote 0
Yeah I suppose I should be honest...back to the old Samsung for me I suppose. No way I can afford a new phone.

I just thought that if you claimed a phone was faulty within 28 days they would just regard it as a manufacturing fault. Maybe they would check the outer water damage stickers... and the screen, but not inspect it fully. But your right, I don't want to get caught out.

Upvote 0
No. 28 day returns are for manufacturing faults, not being silly enough to drop in your drink.

They will test it, and when they find you've dunked it (it really is very obvious to a trained tech), add a note to your file so you wont be able to claim easily from them in future for any faults.

It's why dedicated phone insurance pays to get.

I don't know what phone shops you go to but around here I don't see many 'trained techs' in them. What I do see are late teens who will look for obvious damage, see it doesn't switch on and then do whatever needs to be done.

See if there is a standard repair/replace charge then.

Meh up to the thread starter but yea get insurance in future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones