• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LiQuID FroZeN YoGurT v1.4 (FRG22 Custom ROM Built From Source!!!) *Updated Patch - OTA Update Fix*

Poll closed due to new release for this ROM

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 70 79.5%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Initial Setup:
Ah, a new boot animation. I take it that's the Droid 2 ani, as stealing other Droid's boot anis and changing the colors seem to be the thing to do :p. I personally liked the Droid Does into the Droid X, but that's not really relevant. It beats the stock animation. Like usual, it didn't take but maybe a minute to load. Then I was surprised when my password was incorrect. Yeah. That was the Droid 2 keyboard, and issue already fixed by Liquid w/ the LFY1.41 patch. Market synced within 30 minutes (probably less, but I sat the phone down for about a half hour before I remembered I usually time that...sue me).

Appearance:
I've tried Blueberry and Smoked in the past, so I wanted to try two I never have, the Tangerine and Watermark'd. Very nice look with both of these. If you're a fan of orange, you'll love Tangerine. Also, it gave me an excuse to use the Prodigal Sun skin for Weather Widget Donate, finally. Then, there's Watermark'd, and I fell in love with the 3D app icons. Both offer themed pull down notification bars, lock screens, the works. Just about everything appeared to theme with just some small issues.

The issues I noticed were mostly with Watermark'd. If you change your LauncherPro icons, not every single icon has been themed. It's usually not an issue as the default app icon usually is, as is the case w/ the Market, Maps, Navigation, and Calendar. However, the Google Voice icon has been changed in the LauncherPro icons, but not the default icon, which has been annoying me for a while now. Again, small issues.

Performance:
I've seen a steady decrease in perfomance of this ROM from the first build. LFY1.0, while extremely buggy, was incredibly fast. It was evident in every aspect of phone navigation and population. This ROM continues the trend of a decline in performance on my Droid. I tried so many diff kernels, and my benchmarks were at best par for the course. Until...

Finally, a kernel that got me over the hump. slayher's 1.2GHz kernel is the fastest kernel I've used to date, finally getting me over 1600 on Quadrant (set only at 1.1GHz, mind you). I posted a screenshot elsewhere in the thread if anyone needs convincing. This, however, seems more evident of the kernel and not so much the ROM, considering I could barely score over 1500 with any of my normal kernels (and I've scored as high as 1569 with the first build).

System and App Function:
Battery life seems more stable with this ROM than the previous build (1.3 wasn't as good for my Droid as 1.2), running cool and lasting adequately. The Market worked fine, GPS, Wifi, the usual suspects. I did have an issue with Swype FCing, but uninstalling it and reinstalling it seemed to do the trick.

I did want to note that just about everytime I rebooted this for any reason (flashing diff kernels, fixing permissions, etc...), I saw the M logo at least twice, sometimes more. And everytime it came back, it took a full 20 secs before my Droid was actually useable. Usually, LauncherPro would FC, and then everything would go back to normal. This happened on each theme I tried.

Goodies:
It seems almost unfair to add this section when I haven't in my other reviews, but I'm going to start from now on. There was a time when it seemed only CyanogenMod ROMs were the only ones that provided those little extras. Now, it seems every ROM has something unto it's own, and let's face it, we want them. The only real extra here is the Reboot and Reboot into Recovery options from the power button, which are starting to become the norm.

Overview:
This ROM really does what you want it to, but is somewhat lacking wow factor for me. It's a very solid ROM that's worked out most of the previous issues, but doesn't bring to the table the level of customization that I can be OCD about. I know Liquid and his team are working hard on getting this ROM to top of the food chain, and I look forward to him taking this constructional criticism and blowing me away in builds to come. Until then...

Rating:
3 of 5 stars

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
After I had a system melt down I installed
this and Tangerine. Just breathtakingly awesome!

Is there a possibility in making a hybrid 1.4 with some
of Tangerine's goods with say watermarked?

I love most everything, the widgets are the best I've ever seen!!!

Is it possible to change some items?
For me there's a couple of things I'd like not to be Orange if possible?

I didn't install the patch and everything is great.
I can't believe how smooth ADW is.

I may have to change from LP but I need those widgets!

Upvote 0
Not only have I had a problem with the patched keyboard FC'ing after two letters, but I've also had widgets "disappear" or switching. For example, on my homescreen I have the calendar widget and on the screen to the right I have the google search widget. Earlier, they switched - in the calendar widget spot was a squished google search widget and in the google search spot was a stretched calendar widget.

I fixed them, and a couple of hours later, the calendar widget disappeared and in its place was "Problem loading widget". Go figure. I know LiQuiD's ROMs are top-of-the-line - his previous version rocked.

P.S. Wiping prior to install DEFINITELY isn't the problem. I wiped six times - three from Clockwork's first screen, and three from its partitions menu - formatted all but the SD card.

Upvote 0
Here's a thought...

The black bar mod you are running basically isn't the same as the other themes in terms of function. Launcher Pro is not a system app in the stock build of this ROM but when you apply a theme, LP is moved to the system directory. What this does it that LP gets memory allocated at a higher priority.

Try this...make a nandroid backup, run the Smoked theme and see if LP is faster at redrawing those icons. This ROM is BY FAR the fastest in terms of redraws that I have ever used. Flipping the phone into landscape is almost seemless. LP in the system dir is not the only cause for this...but I believe it helps.

This is going to sound stupid, and I have been running rom's for 8 months now but... If I make a backup will the theme stay? And can I install a theme over another theme?

Upvote 0
Also, my wifi doesn't work. I've tried it on SS v4.6 and it doesn't work. I am using the stock kernel that came on this ROM...

whenever I try to connect it says: Obtaining IP address, then it says: Remembered, Secured with WEP.

It just won't connect. I've typed in the password and everything...wtf

Guys, if this has been answered somewhere else, I apologize in advance, but I didn't see an answer in the thread...I'm having the same issues with WiFi. I turn it on and though I've typed in my WPA key correctly, it starts by saying "Scanning.....Authenticating.....Remembered.....Scanning.....Authenticating.....Disconnected."

Then it just says in the WiFi networks spot: "Disabled, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK"

So far, this is the only major thing I've found with the ROM that isn't working well. For the record, I'm running Stock (no theme) LFY 1.41 with So far, this is the only major thing I've found with the ROM that isn't working well. For the record, I'm running Stock (no theme) LFY 1.41 with PS3 ulv 1.0. Any help, of course, is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I loved 1.3 and couldnt wait for 1.4 but i have run into 2 problems. the first time i installed it the phone got stuck in the boot sequence and kept repeating it. so i installed just the basic 2.2 vanilla. then I went back and installed 1.4 again and it worked but the home key stopped working at all. it will vibrate but do nothing.

uninstalling

Upvote 0
Guys, if this has been answered somewhere else, I apologize in advance, but I didn't see an answer in the thread...I'm having the same issues with WiFi. I turn it on and though I've typed in my WPA key correctly, it starts by saying "Scanning.....Authenticating.....Remembered.....Scanning.....Authenticating.....Disconnected."

Then it just says in the WiFi networks spot: "Disabled, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK"

So far, this is the only major thing I've found with the ROM that isn't working well. For the record, I'm running Stock (no theme) LFY 1.41 with So far, this is the only major thing I've found with the ROM that isn't working well. For the record, I'm running Stock (no theme) LFY 1.41 with PS3 ulv 1.0. Any help, of course, is greatly appreciated.

Lol, mine JUST randomly started working today...no clue why.

Upvote 0
I'm loving the Smoked theme. Thanks for the hard work.

4906698476_0b038b4489.jpg

Upvote 0
This is going to sound stupid, and I have been running rom's for 8 months now but... If I make a backup will the theme stay? And can I install a theme over another theme?

Whatever state your Droid is in when you do a nandroid will be the state it is when you restore it. So you'll keep the theme, wallpaper, ringtones, the whole nine yards. And I only know this b/c I used to keep a fresh nandroid of the same ROM w/ diff themes and wallpapers that I would change more than my underwear. :p

And you can, in theory, theme over another theme just as long as both are made for or compatible w/ your current ROM. Now, I'm sure there's certain ones that won't play nice w/ others, but I've personally done it before. I used to use the 928Droid's Black Glass theme, as it pretty much themed anything you could think about, and then I'd use CorCor's SteelBeast theme over that, b/c it really only themed the home screen.

Reactions: nader2013
Upvote 0
running 1.41 too with the old keyboard and i also force close after 2-3 letters, what do i do? i wiped data and cache when i flashed this rom.

seems to be a common issue? please help us, i love this rom but i would like to be able to use the android keyboard as well as the physical one.

Download one of the HTC_IME keyboards here

Once you install it, go to settings > language & keyboards > and select HTC_IME keyboard (in addition to Android Keyboard which will already be selected).

Go to a text box somewhere and long press on the text field (you will see a popup appear). Select "Input Method" and choose HTC_IME. Verify that that keyboard works.

Lastly, long press on the text field again and this time select the Android Keyboard. Verify that it works

Reactions: superdorf
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones