• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Liquid Frozen Yogurt v1.71 (FRG83 Built From Source!!! Get It While Its HOT!!!)

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another bug found:

When adding a contact, say, by long pressing a phone number on your call log and selecting "add to contacts" from the list, it goes to the contacts list like normal, but the top section that supposed to read "create new contact" is just a big area with no text, bigger than normal.

i'm on the galaxy s theme, so it may be a theme thing, but just thought i'd let you know.

I just tried this and found the same thing, but when I touched the big area at the top, it took me to the create contact screen, which allowed me to input the contact information and save. So it's sort of an aesthetic glitch, but it doesn't affect functionality.

Upvote 0
Since I have re-installed this rom it has been perfect. Fast, smooth, no reboots, great battery. Coming to the market with themes and kernels makes the whole package complete. I must honestly say this is the best I have tried for overall performance and options. Rated 5/5. Thanks liquid and GirL for all your work. Donation made.

Upvote 0
I'm seeing quite a bit of FC's on various apps and I'm wondering if anyone else has had these issues. The ones that have stuck out are Dolphin HD and Astro which FC as soon as I open them. I have a NY Giants app that FCs as soon as the phone boots up. And Handcent FC's as soon as I send a quick reply (the msg does go through, though). I didn't notice these FC's before the 1.71 update.

EDIT: I'm also noticing a FC with the LauncherPro Popups. Fede did update LP today (or last night), and that might be due to it. Would like to see if these can all be addressed before I write this review b/c I think the trend of even numbers=good/odd numbers=bad is about to end...

Upvote 0
I'm seeing quite a bit of FC's on various apps and I'm wondering if anyone else has had these issues. The ones that have stuck out are Dolphin HD and Astro which FC as soon as I open them. I have a NY Giants app that FCs as soon as the phone boots up. And Handcent FC's as soon as I send a quick reply (the msg does go through, though). I didn't notice these FC's before the 1.71 update.

Yankee, I use Astro, Dolphin HD and Handcent quite often and haven't had any FCs (before or after I installed the 1.71 patch). In fact, I've tested all of my 120-something apps and not one of them has FCd on me.

Upvote 0
I did the 1.71 update and it went just fine but I lost the Liquid theme in the process. Any way to re-apply it?

There's nothing at all in the 1.71 patch that should have affected any theme. The only things in it are an updated Liquid Tweaks app, a modified build.prop (which doesn't affect theme) and a couple of Liquid's backups from Titanium Backup for Liquid Tweaks.

Upvote 0
Once the kernal settles in, wow it runs cool, for the first few hours it was ultra toasty but now its very cool. I also figured out how to change the launcher pro launch icon. I am not sure i have been this satisfied with a rom in months, for the first time in months i have no lag (so far) no redraws, and it stays cool, not to mention so fluid and fast. I want to say some of thise came from using the installation method i used from girlsluvdroid, but im sure alot of this is the rom itself. I think i will delete all my nandroids and make one of this one and use it as a primary back up if i switch again sometime soon, but so far no reasons to. Does anyone know why the handcent widget is not showing up in the widget list?should i reinstall?if i do will it save all the settings i have saved? I wanted to say that with all the talk in other threads such as BB, and ultimate droid about how UD is a fast rom with many customization options and bb was very stock with tweaked system designed for speed etc. Well before i thought lfy was more like bb with speed but now it joins the ranks of UD and Ss and Lithium with speed and lots of customization. I like it alot, congrats lfy.

Upvote 0
Let me start this off by saying, and I'm sure Liquid has been waiting for this, YES!!

Initial Setup:
Still the quickest boot, and I really like the new boot ani. And my fav boot ani now comes in multiple colors. Apps restored rather quickly, but as I flashed before the 1.71 patch came out, many apps didn't restore. Not a major issue as most of us have TiBu.

Appearance:
Pretty much a stock theme until you flash one of the many theme options, and there's pretty much a look for everyone. Also get a few added wallpapers and LauncherPro docks to complete the look.

Performance:
I know now why this is called Liquid Frozen Yogurt. Because this ROM is so fluid, you can swim through it. The very first ROM Liquid put out was super fast, just really buggy. This baby copies that fluidity and has ironed out any of the previous bugs. My Droid has never been smoother.

For whatever reason, I'm not getting great benchmarks with this. But yanno what, who cares? The real world application is what matters and there's nary a hiccup. What really amazes me is that I'm only running at 800MHz and there's no need whatsoever to OC any higher. The only lag I experieced were backing out of an app while something else was going on, and there's not much that any Dev can do about that as that's the limit of having 256mb of RAM.

Goodies:
Yanno what goes great on frozen yogurt? Lots of goodies sprinkled on top. And ladies and gents, we have goodies! Look for an app called Liquid Tweaks that give you the ability to customize the notification colors, lockscreen, music controls, and the ability to use CPU scaling. It's not quite the level of CyanogenMod or Ultimate Droid, but these are all steps in the right direction and enough to satiate most users hunger.

App and System Function:
I had some FC's on certain apps, but after fixing permissions there is nothing wrong with this ROM. Nothing. That never happens.

Battery has been running nice and cool for me (well, after the initial setup, anyway). While mostly stagnant with very lil work, the battery went a full 24 hours before I got the 15% "connect your charger" message. That in and of itself is the best I've experienced since going to 2.2. I really worked her today and after 6 hours I'm down to 40%. Yesterday, with normal use, I was able to go all day without worrying about needing to charge.

Overview:
If you wanted to nitpick, you could point out everything that CM or UD has and the ease of which you can customize. Sure, I'd like some more customizations like easy font changing, but everything this ROM already has is done right and without issue. Simply put, there's just nothing wrong with this ROM. This is the fastest my Droid has EVER run, some of the best battery life I've had since coming to 2.2, and the added Liquid Tweaks make this the best blend of performance, customization, and function. As much as I tried to talk myself out of it, I'm going to do something I have yet to do since RRS's inception:

Rating:
5 out of 5 stars

Upvote 0
w00t! Nice review!

On your lag issue when backing out when something else is going on, have you tried the Samsonite801 fix? Namely, in terminal emulator type:

su
echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1>> /data/local.prop

That is case-sensitive, and you only need to do it once with each fresh ROM install. Since I started using it, I haven't had any lag or redraws, even on my super-heavy SH2 theme.

And just out of curiosity, why are you running at 800mhz when the stock kernel is 1000?

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
w00t! Nice review!

On your lag issue when backing out when something else is going on, have you tried the Samsonite801 fix? Namely, in terminal emulator type:

su
echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1>> /data/local.prop

That is case-sensitive, and you only need to do it once with each fresh ROM install. Since I started using it, I haven't had any lag or redraws, even on my super-heavy SH2 theme.

And just out of curiosity, why are you running at 800mhz when the stock kernel is 1000?

I had never even heard of that, but I'll def get on that. I flashed the 1.2GHz kernel as I like to see how high a benchmark I can get (even thought I can't run Quadrant at that speed), but I normally run at 1 or 1.1GHz. But the kernel was running at 800MHz when it started and ran so smooth, I decided to keep it there.

Oh snap, that reminds me, I left something out of that review!

Upvote 0
More of a continuation of my other post about battery life as I still haven't had a whole lot to play with this, but it went a solid 24 hours (mostly stagnant, mind you) before I was down to 15%. It took another hour to get down to 5%, and that was with some playing. Like SoDroid said, this is not conclusive, but leaves a lot to be happy about.

I am not as lucky with my battery. Currently I am using the LiquidTweaks in Interactive Mode, and my phone is down to 70% after about 8 hours, most of which being idle. Do you have yours at a different setting?

Upvote 0
I am not as lucky with my battery. Currently I am using the LiquidTweaks in Interactive Mode, and my phone is down to 70% after about 8 hours, most of which being idle. Do you have yours at a different setting?

Same setting. But that's actually pretty good. At that rate, you'll be 40% after 16 hours and 10% after 24. That'd put you right there with me (I also run quite a few widgets). On 2.2, it's about the best we can hope for.

I would also recommend keeping an eye on your apps. Go to Settings > Applications > Running Apps to see what's in use. Most of your widgets you'll want running (you probably don't need any music widgets running, though), but you'll likely find apps are running that you don't need to. Some apps start on boot (most of which have a setting that can be adjusted), and I find that helps improve things.

Upvote 0

I disabled the built in CPU control. Did a fresh install of setCPU and put it on conservative. Set my usual Profiles and I've been off the charger for about 10 hours and I'm at 80% Battery with Average to Moderate usage. That's on the stock Kernel which Scored only 85 points lower than any 1100 kernel I've run.

To sum it up. Best battery life with best performance of any ROM I've put on my phone.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know why the handcent widget is not showing up in the widget list?should i reinstall?if i do will it save all the settings i have saved?

Handcent should be showing up in your widget list (it does in mine). I suggest that you uninstall it, then reinstall from the Market. Once that's done, you can restore Handcent data only in TiBu, so you won't lose any of your settings.

I just realized -- THIS is my 1,000th post!!!!

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
im really wanting to keep this rom. it has none of the heat issues that past versions have given me and super smooth. however this is the first time that after flashing this rom i lost my account for an online game that i have played for close to a year.
i had to set up a completely new account and start from scratch:(
this has not happened with other roms or past versions of this rom and i dont think this is a rom issue. any suggestions?

Upvote 0
im really wanting to keep this rom. it has none of the heat issues that past versions have given me and super smooth. however this is the first time that after flashing this rom i lost my account for an online game that i have played for close to a year.
i had to set up a completely new account and start from scratch:(
this has not happened with other roms or past versions of this rom. any suggestions?

I'm confused -- how could a ROM install affect an account for an online game?

Upvote 0
no no i dont think this is a rom issue more of a backup or wipe issue. i think the info is stored on my phone. when i do a nandroid backup the info is still there. this is my first time to experience this and i followed my normal procedure wipe format then flash

edit: i reflashed the rom and i think i figured it out. the last time i flashed this rom the game didn't sync from google and i did a t b restore. for some reason t b didn't restore my data. this time it restored from google and my data restored also!

Upvote 0
Hmmm...battery life...

Been off the charger since 7am, traveled in car about 3-4 hours today (switching cell towers...), light texting, web browsing, and about an hour of gaming tonight...50% battery left. Running the 1.2 GHz slayher kernel, compcache on, using SetCPU for overclocking...and here are my profiles (just FYI)...
5vcIql.jpg

Upvote 0
Im missing the microphone "talk to text" button on my keyboard after a fresh flash to 1.7 and 1.71. After a factory reset I got my google search bar back the way i liked but then Google decided to restore my apps for me and broke it again. I have turned off the Google backups but after factory resetting it again it just puts everything back yet again, BAH. How do i get Google to F off and how can i get my mic button back?

I was able to get my keyboard mic button and whatnot back with a nandroid restore, but back to 1.6 :/

I noticed that in the Keyboard and Locale setting with 1.71 and in Keyboard settings I didnt have the "Voice Input" option to have it on the keyboard, it was gone. Also under Voice Input and Output I didnt have the "Voice Recognizer Settings" options. All of these were gone for me in 1.71.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones