• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root List of Best Root Only Apps

Im new to this still and have a couple,

Apps2SD
Wireless Tether
Rom Manager, loving the quick boot screen from there
Titanium Backup

so what other cool ones are there

Ive searched the marketplace, found some here and there, but figured I could get the best suggestions by far from ppl on this forum

anyways, thanks:)

Here's a copy of what's posted in the Droid X root forum (http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid-x/131944-favorite-root-applications.html). Check that thread for an up-to-date list and QR codes.

I'm sure each all-things-root-xxxxx forums have a similar list (and there have been a few fits and starts here on the Eris threads, but nothing has been stickied):

Titanium Backup - Backs up everything - can't live with out it. It's available for free on the market. To unlock all features, donate $3.99 within the app. (Requires Busybox - can install from within app)

Root Explorer - Makes exploring files on your phone easy. It's available for UK

Upvote 0
Nice find on the list, SA.

I've been living by Root Explorer since rooted. SetCPU seems to be going by the wayside as I discover ways to speed up the device and especially since xtrROM has become my default.

Wondering how many Eris users do wireless tethering.

Thanks, Frisco!

I haven't actually used Root Explorer (yet) since I've got Astro and can always drop into the Android Terminal Emulator or use "adb shell". But, I've heard a lot of folks that swear by it.

Yeah, I also think a rooted Eris (depending on the ROM, of course) is pretty snappy already w/o overclocking. I ran without enabling o/c for a couple of weeks and noticed a small improvement (virtually no difference in Linpack scores running at 710MHz). I'm about to flash Zanfur's o/c patch and see what that looks like w/new setCPU. Still waiting for Ivan to finish beta-testing 1.1 so I can see how quick that ROM is.

I've only tested wireless tethering shortly after I rooted. Wi-fi signals are becoming ubiquitous nowadays and I haven't traveled anywhere where it might necessitate using wi-fi tethering.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

I use wireless tethering all the time when traveling. Oakland has free internet, but most other airports I travel to/through (SFO, Houston, Dulles) don't, so I just turn on tether and I'm good to go! My wife also uses it on road trips (she gets on while I'm driving) if she needs to do work or whatever.

So it's great while traveling, but other than that I hardly ever use it.

Upvote 0
Nice find on the list, SA.

I've been living by Root Explorer since rooted. SetCPU seems to be going by the wayside as I discover ways to speed up the device and especially since xtrROM has become my default.

I just used it with my family on our long drive to Buffalo NY from Charlotte NC. Worked great had it plugged into the outlet converter used it for Navigation and Wireless tether the whole time. (Had to put the back to the AC vent or else it over heated lol) but both laptops kept connectivity as long as there was a signal to my phone its a life savor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones