• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help List of important things to write down before resetting

Hi guys. So I'm going to root my phone, and to avoid any complications at all, I think I'm going to factory reset my phone. I heard that some apps (ie dropbox) can interfere with the root process so I'm just doing this so I don't get any complications. I'm making a list of all the things I should write down from my phone before I reset it. So far, I have:
contacts
notes
passwords
apps
settings

And that's about it. Anyone else have other suggestions? I'm probably doing this in like a couple of hours, so feel free to chip in whenever. Thanks

PS: For all you rooted people, am I overdoing this? I mean, some of my friends that have rooted phones say that I don't have to do this but I'm sort of a perfectionist so lemme know

I didn't have any problems rooting my phone, and I didn't factory reset it. It's really not all that complicated, no matter what method you choose. If you are paranoid about it, the easiest, non-root way to backup everything would be with mybackup pro:

MyBackup Pro - Android app on AppBrain

There is a free trial version available as well. It's technically not a complete backup, and I would suggest you use titanium backup once you're rooted. If absolutely nothing else, the list of things mybackup pro backs up is pretty much everything you need to remember to backup.

There are also apps available on the market that will make full lists of all your installed apps. I suggest you search for one and use it just in case.

On a side note, a word of warning - if you plan on switching roms a lot, don't try backing up a lot of system settings and restoring them between roms. It doesn't always work out too well.

EDIT: Also, I should mention that I've never used mybackup pro; I've just heard it works well.

Reactions: globydudems
Upvote 0
I didn't have any problems rooting my phone, and I didn't factory reset it. It's really not all that complicated, no matter what method you choose. If you are paranoid about it, the easiest, non-root way to backup everything would be with mybackup pro:

MyBackup Pro - Android app on AppBrain

There is a free trial version available as well. It's technically not a complete backup, and I would suggest you use titanium backup once you're rooted. If absolutely nothing else, the list of things mybackup pro backs up is pretty much everything you need to remember to backup.

There are also apps available on the market that will make full lists of all your installed apps. I suggest you search for one and use it just in case.

On a side note, a word of warning - if you plan on switching roms a lot, don't try backing up a lot of system settings and restoring them between roms. It doesn't always work out too well.

EDIT: Also, I should mention that I've never used mybackup pro; I've just heard it works well.

thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi guys. So I'm going to root my phone, and to avoid any complications at all, I think I'm going to factory reset my phone. I heard that some apps (ie dropbox) can interfere with the root process so I'm just doing this so I don't get any complications. I'm making a list of all the things I should write down from my phone before I reset it. So far, I have:
contacts
notes
passwords
apps
settings

And that's about it. Anyone else have other suggestions? I'm probably doing this in like a couple of hours, so feel free to chip in whenever. Thanks

PS: For all you rooted people, am I overdoing this? I mean, some of my friends that have rooted phones say that I don't have to do this but I'm sort of a perfectionist so lemme know

Your contacts should be synched with your google account already, so once you root and re-sign into your google account, they'll synch back to your phone.

I use Titanium Backup (although I have the other backup software mentioned here already) to backup apps and system settings and it seemed to do the trick quite nicely.

I've never heard of anyone doing a factory reset before rooting, nor did I do one and had no issues. I also didn't have dropbox installed at the time.

Upvote 0
I'll be resetting soon myself, and noticed that only a few of my contacts sync up with google. It's almost like I have to email someone for them to be synced. Is this true?

I have a bunch of entries in my contacts with ONLY phone numbers. How do I get them saved with my gmail contacts?

Pull up your contacts list (People app), hit the menu button, and select "Import/Export", and export them to your SD card.

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones