• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help List of Issues I've found with my Droid Incredible

breynolds007

Apr 18, 2010
Louisville, KY
I've loved this phone since day 1, but the constant issues I've had to deal with have forced me to move on. Been traveling a lot due to my wife's health issues and need a smart phone that I can depend on and work when I need it to. Droid X's are on the way for both of us...hope we can get used to the size and don't have any major problems. Took some work, but convinced VZ to let us trade out even though we got them on launch day. Anyways, wanted to list all the issues I've experienced in no particular order:

1)Poor Battery Life-not much needs to be said here. We all have feelings about this (I wrote another thread dedicated to getting decent life). But, any way you look at it, the INC has one of the lowest battery lives of any smart phone.
2)Random Power Cycles-Sometimes 2-3 times a day or a week, either way 2-3 more times than it should happen.
3)Bump Charging-yeah it helps battery life, but shouldn't have to do it.
4)AMOLED screen is nice but has poor visibility in sunlight and is now showing signs of burn-in on some devices after only a couple months.
5)Contact Dialing Problem-all the INC's I've used have had an issue in the dialing screen where you hit a recently called contact and it won't dial them. You have to manually type in the number and it will then call the number.
6)Text Message problem-before 2.2, pic messages wouldn't auto download and always cause an error. After 2.2, randomly cannot send text messages. Write a text, then the send button is grayed out and won't allow it to be sent.
7)"Low on Space" error-occurs when not actually low on space. Mine was being caused by the Mail application. Had to be corrected with factory reset.
8)Won't connect to wifi-today, my wife's INC wouldn't connect to a strong wifi connection all day. My INC connected fine but after numerous tries her phone would not.
9)Signal bars-I just got used to it, but thought 2.2 would fix the signal bars accuracy. Not a big deal that my phone doesn't ever show that it has signal cause it usually does, but what's the point of them being there?

There's probably a couple I'm forgetting but my point isn't to bash the phone, I actually love this phone's specs and features. When I got it, I really thought it was exactly what I wanted...and it would be if it worked correctly. As much as I grew to love Sense, I really think it's the stem of a lot of the software issues. It a nice look and great widgets, but it is quite buggy. Hopefully they'll eventually figure this out cause it's a great start. I just want people who are considering this phone to know what they're getting into. And for some, its still probably worth it. I just can't justify it any more, too much else going on. Hope I don't hate the X lol!

Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm feeling lucky right now as I've had none of those issues other than perhaps battery life but that's subjective. I suppose most any smartphone would get mixed reviews in that department depending on who's doing the reviewing. Good luck with the X.

I don't think you should feel lucky, I'm pretty sure most of us don't have these issues. There is a reason the dinc is widely regarded as one of the best android phones by most tech websites out there. I guess if a person is too scared to root though, the x might be for them. There's not much to do with a rooted x anyway. I forgot though, sense is way better than motoblur. I guess size would be the only thing that someone could consider better. I think the x is too big though, just my opinion.

Upvote 0
How many threads are you going to make about this? We get it. The Incredible didn't work for you. Enjoy your Droid X.

This is the only one of this nature...sorry to offend you. The other 2 threads I've started were discussing battery life and how to make it better and get some input from people regarding their experience with the Inc to X switch. I thought this might help some people, that's what the thread was for. No need to take it personal, we're just talking about phones...

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm feeling lucky right now as I've had none of those issues other than perhaps battery life but that's subjective. I suppose most any smartphone would get mixed reviews in that department depending on who's doing the reviewing. Good luck with the X.

I am the same way. Not having any of the listed problems. I would like to see improved is battery life but I say that about all my items that run on batteries.

Upvote 0
I can't say that I've had any of the problems. Battery life is fine for me. Could be better, but it's not horrible. I don't get the random power cycling and I think the bump charging thing is an anomaly. A lot of phones have poor visibility in sunlight, not just the DInc. I've never had any issues dialing people. I've just clicked on recently called people and it calls. No issues. I've never run into the "low on space" error though I know others have. I still show 6.6 gb of free space on mine. I've never had the wifi issue and connect to wifi frequently. I routinely ignore signal bars and have no clue why people pay any attention to them. Either I have a signal or I don't. To me that's what matters.

Upvote 0
The "Low on space" error happens regardless of mail cache or other apps. The Incredible has a design bug and all folks that breach past a few hundred megs of apps can start to see the error. Most common point for the error appears to be in the range of 350 to 250mb free. I think the Incredible show "748mb" but actually has a few hundred mb less than that really available.

Upvote 0
You guys on this forum are such fanbois, as bad as Apple fanbois.

The INCs battery life is abysmal, absolutely abysmal. It does a lot of things well, but this is such a killer. I travel frequently, and on those days my phone is dead by the end of the day with light use, and that is with a 2150 battery. And before you say it, I don't have any task killers or any third party apps that are keeping my phone alive.

Reactions: breynolds007
Upvote 0
1)Poor Battery Life-not much needs to be said here. We all have feelings about this (I wrote another thread dedicated to getting decent life). But, any way you look at it, the INC has one of the lowest battery lives of any smart phone.
Yea dont even get me started lol, see here i just made:
http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/198404-when-3500mah-just-isnt-enough-vent-rant.html

2)Random Power Cycles-Sometimes 2-3 times a day or a week, either way 2-3 more times than it should happen.
I had this until i updated to Froyo, or Rooted. One of those made it go away and havent had a random cycle in quite a while

3)Bump Charging-yeah it helps battery life, but shouldn't have to do it.
Agreed

4)AMOLED screen is nice but has poor visibility in sunlight and is now showing signs of burn-in on some devices after only a couple months.
I havent heard that, but thats horrible if its true!

5)Contact Dialing Problem-all the INC's I've used have had an issue in the dialing screen where you hit a recently called contact and it won't dial them. You have to manually type in the number and it will then call the number.
Never had this issue, or even heard of it

6)Text Message problem-before 2.2, pic messages wouldn't auto download and always cause an error. After 2.2, randomly cannot send text messages. Write a text, then the send button is grayed out and won't allow it to be sent.
Never had this issue either lol

7)"Low on Space" error-occurs when not actually low on space. Mine was being caused by the Mail application. Had to be corrected with factory reset.
Maybe because i use only gmail, i never have had this issue

8)Won't connect to wifi-today, my wife's INC wouldn't connect to a strong wifi connection all day. My INC connected fine but after numerous tries her phone would not.
Again never had this issue, never any problems with wifi connection

9)Signal bars-I just got used to it, but thought 2.2 would fix the signal bars accuracy. Not a big deal that my phone doesn't ever show that it has signal cause it usually does, but what's the point of them being there?
Agreed lol

Hope I don't hate the X lol!
The X is an awesome phone as well!! Hope you have better luck with that. I think most of your issues may have been corrected by having device replaced though, seems like you had some bad luck

10char

Upvote 0

The INCs battery life is abysmal, absolutely abysmal. It does a lot of things well, but this is such a killer. I travel frequently, and on those days my phone is dead by the end of the day with light use, and that is with a 2150 battery. And before you say it, I don't have any task killers or any third party apps that are keeping my phone alive.
Hate people who generalize like this, "My battery life sucks, therefore everyone elses must suck too!"

I get 48 hours w/ light use. stock battery.

Upvote 0

I could not care less if some random guy I never met likes the Incredible. It is annoying to have the Incredible forum littered with the same thread more than once because OP feels he needs to vent to us about his phones's problems. He wasn't seeking advice or offering help, he was merely bitching about his bad experiences. There are tens of thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of Incredibles out there. If this guy's problems were that common, trust me, we would've heard about it from Verizon, HTC, or one of our beloved tech sites. We have not, because the problems only affect a small number of users, which is the case with any piece of technology.

As for battery life, it is not the best. It could be worse. If you're not happy with the battery life, either do something about it, like get an extended battery, or get a new phone. Enough is enough already with the battery trash talk.

Reactions: Damn_Smooth
Upvote 0
Smart phones are not phones, they're miniature computers. They run applications. third party application not designed by software companies but by stan and nilesh in their basement. like a computer they will be prone to software glitches/issues. how many times do windows based pc's need to have software apps reinstalled due to this or need registry fixes or total re-imaging... far too many people that that just because its a phone it should work flawlessly just like their old dumb phones...and those dont even work right 100% of the time...

That being said, I've had a few power cycles since I first got the phone from preorder...maybe like once a week. it did hang up once or twice requiring a battery pull which let me tell you is nothing. I support blackberries for work and they are constantly requiring a hard reset. BUT, ever since i got tired of waiting for big red to grace me with an OTA i downloaded and ran the 2.2 RMU which wiped and reflashed the phone and since then (about a month now) I've had zero crashes/glitches/issues. yes the battery life is still the same, but "juice defender" has taken care of any worry over my battery. after 1day, 16 hours i was still sitting at 60% left. with maybe slightly less than moderate usage.

Upvote 0
I could not care less if some random guy I never met likes the Incredible. It is annoying to have the Incredible forum littered with the same thread more than once because OP feels he needs to vent to us about his phones's problems. He wasn't seeking advice or offering help, he was merely bitching about his bad experiences. There are tens of thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of Incredibles out there. If this guy's problems were that common, trust me, we would've heard about it from Verizon, HTC, or one of our beloved tech sites. We have not, because the problems only affect a small number of users, which is the case with any piece of technology.

As for battery life, it is not the best. It could be worse. If you're not happy with the battery life, either do something about it, like get an extended battery, or get a new phone. Enough is enough already with the battery trash talk.

Look man, seriously IT IS JUST A PHONE, you act like I'm making fun of your kid or something. I'm sorry that you're so hurt by me being honest about my experience with my Incredibles. I love Android and we're all kinda in the same boat, is it really that offensive to you that I'm getting another phone instead of the Incredible?

In 6 more months, the Incredible and X will be old news. Anyone that hasn't experienced these issues, I am very happy for you and hope you don't. I wish I hadn't. As for Littering the forums and bitching...I am not, but if you don't want to read what's here then just move on, nobody's forcing you to post in this thread. But if you want to act like the INC is without fault then you're just in denial. Maybe my problems were more than most, and in your words, that is why I have moved on. However, the INC forums are already plagued with hundreds of threads regarding single issues, this is a quick way for new owners to get a glimpse into my 3+ months with my INC's. May not help you, but may help another person and that is the point.

Upvote 0
Look man, seriously IT IS JUST A PHONE, you act like I'm making fun of your kid or something. I'm sorry that you're so hurt by me being honest about my experience with my Incredibles. I love Android and we're all kinda in the same boat, is it really that offensive to you that I'm getting another phone instead of the Incredible?

blah blah blah

Perhaps you missed the part where I said "I could not care less" whether you like the Incredible or not. If I was offended, I would have defended the phone. I didn't. In fact, I said if you're not happy with the battery life, go find another phone because a less than stellar battery life is one of the Incredible's imperfections. I readily admit that.

Like I said in my first post, enjoy your DX. It's a great phone. Arguably better than the Incredible if you like a larger screen and/or Motoblur (personally I use LaunderPro+ anyway). But I stand by my comment that unless you have something to offer the Incredible community, please see yourself out.

If there is anything I do care about, it's that people who don't like the Incredible still stick with Android. The more Android phones out there, the better for those of us who do love the OS.

Upvote 0

In 6 more months, the Incredible and X will be old news. Anyone that hasn't experienced these issues, I am very happy for you and hope you don't. I wish I hadn't. As for Littering the forums and bitching...I am not, but if you don't want to read what's here then just move on, nobody's forcing you to post in this thread. But if you want to act like the INC is without fault then you're just in denial. Maybe my problems were more than most, and in your words, that is why I have moved on. However, the INC forums are already plagued with hundreds of threads regarding single issues, this is a quick way for new owners to get a glimpse into my 3+ months with my INC's. May not help you, but may help another person and that is the point.

I really don't understand how you think you're helping anybody when most people don't have the issues that you do. Trying to persuade people not to get the dinc because you are in a very small minority of people that have those issues is not helping anybody. Go to any site that gives customer reviews (amazon, verizon etc.) and you will find that the minority you find yourself in is pretty insignificant. I just hope your x works out for you because if you head over to the x forums you will find the same small minority of people complaining about issues with their x. Goodbye and good luck.

Upvote 0
I really don't understand how you think you're helping anybody when most people don't have the issues that you do. Trying to persuade people not to get the dinc because you are in a very small minority of people that have those issues is not helping anybody. Go to any site that gives customer reviews (amazon, verizon etc.) and you will find that the minority you find yourself in is pretty insignificant. I just hope your x works out for you because if you head over to the x forums you will find the same small minority of people complaining about issues with their x. Goodbye and good luck.

Smooth thanks for your input, but quite frankly it doesn't matter to me any longer what reviews the INC has received. I was rooting for it as one of the first owners as it received awards from C-NET, Endgadget, etc. for being the best Android phone out there. I told everyone about it and loved owning it. I am well aware. But, that doesn't change what my overall experience has been and the issues I've experienced. I still think its a good phone, but has more issues than its worth...TO ME.

Intelligent people make purchases based on their needs and wants, as well as reason and previous users opinions. Not blind bias that a phone is the best because you say so. That's how iPhone fanboys act and it doesn't need to be like that with Android too.

Ya know the beauty of my opinion, it can't be wrong because it's my opinion. This little Android website isn't the end-all be-all of Android, there are many other sites out there as well as forums on VZW, HTC, etc with people complaining about problems similar to mine.

Be honest with yourself, you're saying that others aren't having the same problems as me. Well, maybe so in regards to the call and texting issues, I hadn't seen them posted anywhere yet either. That's why I wanted to do it. But, the other things noted as well as many other issues have plagued the the INC for a considerable number of people. I'm doing a lot more good trying to inform people of my real life experience with the phone than you all bashing me for posting it. Thanks to those who tried to add something to the thread, that's what great about these forums.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones