s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

Thought this might be helpful to be laid out:

Simplified list:

• Words to search for
    • "Call ___" followed by a contact name, business name, or phone number
    • "Map of ___" followed by an address, or location or business name
    • "Directions to ___" followed by an address, or location or business name
    • "Navigate to ___" followed by an address, or location or business name
    • The name of one of your contacts (to view that contact's details)
    • "Go to ___" followed by a search string or url
    • "Send SMS to ____ message ____" or "Send text to ____ message ____" to send a text (should use fluid, natural speech- avoid long pauses)
    • "Send email to/CC/BCC ____ subject ____ message ____" to send email
    • "Note to self _____" to record and email an audio note to your gmail (also transcribes the note as the message body)
    • "Set alarm time/for _____ am/pm [optional] label ____" or "Set alarm for _____ hours/minutes from now"
    • "Listen to _____" followed by song title, artist, album

I find myself using this a lot more, and I have seen them spread through the threads as advice, but thought a single list in one location would be more helpful...

Advertisement
  2. dhworph

dhworph Well-Known Member

Now... how to get it to recognize unconventional contact names with the proper pronunciation?
  3. stenzor

stenzor Well-Known Member

Yeah I've had this problem too, you gotta think like a computer!

I think there should be an optional field in all contacts' names so that you can add a phonetic spelling for the name that the voice actions will use if the field is used. Wouldn't be too hard to do, I don't think..
    s.m.knipe likes this.
  4. s.m.knipe

This is a pain. I've found that about 98% of my texting is to about 6 people, so I've put simple and distinct monikers in front of their contact names so it finds them easier (e.g. "mom" "dad" etc). Temporary fix I know, but it works for now (except don't make them too odd-ball because sometimes they show up when you email the person).
  5. s.m.knipe

I wouldn't think it would be that hard, and it would be a perfect solution actually.
  6. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Small funny note on this topic... I have the Pearl Jam album "Vs." on my phone - pronounced, of course, "versus."

Only it's not spelled that way, so obviously you can't say "listen to versus" - as I found one day when I wasn't thinking and said that. So I tried what "vs" might sound like to a computer - kind of a "vuss" sound. Boom, perfect - "Go" starts blasting out of my car speakers.

Incidentally, the OP in this thread is why Siri has been (somewhat) successful. Not because it's a tremendous amount more functional than Voice Actions... but because it's more human. You don't have to know the list of commands.
  7. balders

balders Well-Known Member

kind of funny story regarding this.... accidentally sent a text to my partners ex husbands new wife when it should have gone to my partner, nothing to obscene though.

the morel of the story........its better to call.
  8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

You forgot one: "Kill Siri" ;)
    alostpacket likes this.
  9. s.m.knipe

10. mysterioustko

mysterioustko Active Member

I've found that with setting an alarm you don't necessarily have to say "set alarm to x". You can also say "wake me up at x" or "wake me up in x minutes" (which is good if you want a quick 30 minute nap lol)
    kornesque, s.m.knipe and dhworph like this.
  11. dhworph

thats really cool.

anyone know how to set calendar appts w/ voice command?
  12. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

i would like to see -

"New Calendar Event - Lunch with Steve - Friday at 12pm."

i know a few apps in Market offer this but they are not very elegant IMO.
  13. stenzor

stenzor Well-Known Member

"Wake me up when September ends."

"This alarm is set for 235 from now"
    alostpacket likes this.
  14. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

"Wake me up before you go-go."
    alostpacket likes this.
  15. s.m.knipe

I guess we need to wait for Majel for awesomeness like this?
    Ha!
  16. streetfish

streetfish Well-Known Member

is there any way to skip forward to the next track when listening to an album?
  17. Note to self has become my greatest ally. I set up a rule in my Gmail that auto labels anything with "note to self" as the subject, so they're automatically highlighted when they come in. Invaluable.

**** YOU SIRI
    streetfish likes this.
  18. dhworph

question: "note to self" is a cool feature, but how do you play *.amr files? I only get Moboplayer as an option in the popup menu, but that doesn't play it...

I know the message is transcribed in the email to text, but why include the audio file if it cant' be played at all?!?!?!
  19. s.m.knipe

20. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

thanks for this thread

I added a link to it in the "FAQ/Helpful threads" sticky :)
    s.m.knipe likes this.
  21. dhworph

22. s.m.knipe

I just tap "Play" beneath the attachment (or "Save" then play)
  23. dhworph

I just had to get a different media player... they don't play on native music app, winamp, or moboplayer... doubletwist, meridian, and mixzing work for AMR files.
    s.m.knipe likes this.
  24. s.m.knipe

huh, I don't have any of those, I have Google Music, Ubuntu One Music, and Amazon MP3. I guess one of those two adds the functionality
  25. dhworph

ah... i had to save it first, then google music can open it.