• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root List of what not to delete?

Actually I just checked and that's one of the things I have listed as unsafe to delete so....please keep me in the loop.

Yeah, that is why I'm keeping my eye on it. I will follow up. I was gonna do the next batch of deletes but with all the rumor of 2.2 coming I figure I might just wait and see. I'm interested to see if it updates since I'm rooted and have removed some bloat.

Robb

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding.

As of 12PM today, the items I have deleted so far for my Metro Ascend are:

Mobile Banking (Metro)
UNO
Gameloft Free Games
App Store (Metro)
Moco Space
Loopt
My Extras
Virtual Card
Mobile IM

I have rebooted the phone and have had no problems as of yet. It is of course only 4 hours. :D

I'm toying with deleting 1 or more of the mail programs but will not until I can determine what is safe. 3 mail programs is kinda crazy?

I agree with you that the info should be divided by carrier. Again, it seems like the rooting thread for each carrier, the safe to delete thread for each carrier and the ROM thread for Cricket (so far) should be stickied to the top of the Ascend forum for ease and less confusion.

Do you know if this forum supports sticky's?

Robb

Add Boingo and Pocket Express to the above list. So far so good. I have a question about Titanium Backup (free version). Before removing any apps I backed them up with Titanium. I then un-installed them using Titanium. If I wanted to re-install them how would I do it?

Robb

Upvote 0
Add Boingo and Pocket Express to the above list. So far so good. I have a question about Titanium Backup (free version). Before removing any apps I backed them up with Titanium. I then un-installed them using Titanium. If I wanted to re-install them how would I do it?

Robb

You just open up Tit. B/U and touch the backup/restore tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see them there. Then select the 'restore' option.

Upvote 0
Woah Woah Guys. Deleting ANY system apps, especially those that are from your carrier, like VZW Navigator, Sprint Nascar or anything like that, pretty much guarantees you will NEVER get another OTA update in your life if you don't put them back where they were and reset the UNIX permissions correctly (This is confirmed for practically all android phones on VZW, Sprint, and T-mobile, cannot comment on Metro).

The files should be 'Frozen' either through Titanium Backup PREMIUM, Bloat Freezer, or manually through the command line, that way they can be easily defrosted with one click when you want to get an OTA and your carrier will have no idea.

Bloat Freezer - Freeze your Pre Installed System Apps

THIS IS WHY BLOAT FREEZER WAS WRITTEN, IT HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

I really hope that none of you guys are expecting to get the next OTA on your phone if you don't have backups/a list of exactly what you deleted, I cringe every time I see someone suggesting a delete/uninstall of a /system app to someone who doesnt know better, the blind leading the blind.

Upvote 0
You just open up Tit. B/U and touch the backup/restore tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see them there. Then select the 'restore' option.

The restore option is not there. The only option is to go to the backup/restore tab and then choose menu, batch and then choose restore missing apps with data or restore missing apps and all system data. The problem is that I would need to restore all 12 apps that I deleted.

Robb

Upvote 0
Here is my answer:

10. For some apps I don't have the "Restore" button. Why ?

• This is probably a system app that you don't have anymore. System apps are part of your ROM, so Titanium Backup will only backup their data (not the apps themselves). For this reason, if you backup a system app and then switch to a ROM where that app is missing, Titanium Backup obviously cannot restore the data for it. You have a data-only backup. Before you can restore the data you'll need to install that system app again, either by reinstalling your ROM or by copying its apk manually into /system/app.
  • If you had disabled the "Normal apps (apk)" and/or "Protected apps (apk)" options in the Backup settings, then all backups of your apps will be data-only, in which case you'll need to re-install these apps manually before you can restore their data.
So the Bloatware I deleted was part of the ROM. I will need to re-install the apk for each and then the data from Titanium.

I don't need the programs but I wanted to point out that just backing up with Titanium is not going to give you your app back if you un-installed it.

Looks like I have more reading to do.

Robb

Upvote 0
Here is my answer:

10. For some apps I don't have the "Restore" button. Why ?

• This is probably a system app that you don't have anymore. System apps are part of your ROM, so Titanium Backup will only backup their data (not the apps themselves). For this reason, if you backup a system app and then switch to a ROM where that app is missing, Titanium Backup obviously cannot restore the data for it. You have a data-only backup. Before you can restore the data you'll need to install that system app again, either by reinstalling your ROM or by copying its apk manually into /system/app.
  • If you had disabled the "Normal apps (apk)" and/or "Protected apps (apk)" options in the Backup settings, then all backups of your apps will be data-only, in which case you'll need to re-install these apps manually before you can restore their data.
So the Bloatware I deleted was part of the ROM. I will need to re-install the apk for each and then the data from Titanium.

I don't need the programs but I wanted to point out that just backing up with Titanium is not going to give you your app back if you un-installed it.

Looks like I have more reading to do.

Robb

Exactly, freezing is really the only way to go in my opinion, either through Titanium Backup Premium, or through Bloat Freezer. I have seen hundreds of posts that thought TB was backing up something that it wasn't and were relying on it, only to be disappointed.

Reactions: Robbdoe1
Upvote 0
Exactly, freezing is really the only way to go in my opinion, either through Titanium Backup Premium, or through Bloat Freezer. I have seen hundreds of posts that thought TB was backing up something that it wasn't and were relying on it, only to be disappointed.

I now agree with you 100%. The instructions for removing bloatware should be noted as such also. I'm capable of either restoring the apps or re-flashing the phone back to stock so I'm not worried about me. I'm more concerned with those that don't know enough or are not capable.

Thanks for chiming in here.

Robb

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones