Listen to the radio w/o headphones?General

Last Updated:

1. Old Member

Old Member Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there any way to mod the radio so that it can be listened to without headphones through the speaker? It's frustrating that it's required to have headphones on in order to turn on the radio.

Advertisement
  2. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member

Rip off a headphone jack from something, and jam it in. You might not ever be able to get it out, but hey, that'll solve your problem.

The headphones are require because they are the antenna. Try what I said. Find something like a headphone jack extender that's just a male end and a female end that's like half an inch long, and try using the radio. You won't get a very good signal.

3. aleka9230

aleka9230 Member

the only problem with doing that is, that if you plug something into the headphone jack the phone will actually shut the external speaker off

4. exmobR

exmobR Active Member

nah it still allows you to go into speaker mode after the headphones are in, but the signal is wack. Tried it 2 weeks ago, all i got was static

5. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member

When I plug regular headphones in the phone will not start the radio with the error message that the special headphones with the antenna need to be used. So I doubt a headphone jack is going to work either.

6. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

A lot of radio stations use clear channel. You can download the I heart radio app, it plays over the speaker and over BT.

Some radio stations have their own apps or at least a file that can be played using Windows mobile or Android.

You might even get lucky enough to stream it directly from their website.

7. acousticgtarist

acousticgtarist Well-Known Member

Try the TuneIn radio app. I've found most of the fm and am stations I normally listen to using it.

8. extremetint

extremetint Member

You know once the headphones are plugged in you can go to phone speaker, The phone just needs the headphone plugged in for the antenna.

9. txrxio

txrxio Well-Known Member

Simply solution is to just get some old headphones and cut the earbuds off. Then you have a long enough antenna to pick up radio.

10. cavia

cavia New Member

just get a 12 inch 1/8 jack and plug it in, i don't think it matters what the other end is, it just needs something plugged in to act as an antenna. I used a 1/8 jack to 1/8 jack (1-2 feet in length) and the radio used the phone speakers. I think you can also just plug a set of computer speakers into the 1/8 jack and it'll work....