• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps ListView getting rendered multiple times

markdsievers

Mar 16, 2009
So the situation is this, I have a ListView that is embedded in two LinearLayout ViewGroups to form a screen. BaseAdapter.getView() (the implementation of the ListAdapter) is typically called n times (where n is numElements) to render the screen. The problem I have is this set of calls is being repeated for every ViewGroup that the list is contained in...So for a Layout like this:

-LinearLayout
--Linearlayout
---ListView

The adapters getView() is being called n*3 times (3 = 1 for the parent LinerarLayout, one for the child LinearLayout and one for the List itself).

This is obvisouly a problem when the items in the List are expensive to build (even with recycling).

So Im looking for some guidance on this, as the documentation doesnt seem to note this behaviour from what I can see.

A small, basic example of the source is located on my post here
ListView getting rendered multiple times :: anddev.org - Android Development Community | Android Tutorials
with more details aswel as a ready made eclipse project(also attached below) if anyone is keen to try it out.

Attachments

• ListTest.zip
    20.7 KB · Views: 65

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones