little "mini phone" that works over bluetooth with your Android phone?

Last Updated:

1. xclr82xtc

xclr82xtc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so...what i was thinking, was, does anyone make like a little "mini phone" that works over blue tooth?

i was thinking something like that would be cool to have. leave your big x in the dock when you in the car, or on your desk, or somewhere out of harms way when you go to work, and just carry you lil "mini phone" with you in your pocket. make calls, and etc from it. i was thinkin something that looks like a small flip phone would be cool.

have any of you guys ever seen anything like that? or think it would be useless??

Advertisement
  2. Devz

Devz Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if this comes off as mean, because it's not intended to, but I just don't get the point of another phone for your phone.

Honestly, it just doesn't make any sense.

3. xclr82xtc

it would if you worked where i worked.

4. buxleyp

buxleyp Well-Known Member

+1; not hating, just trying to understand your reasoning.

Why not just have a cheapo phone in your pocket to link with your BT earpiece? What does that have to do with your X?

Unless you wanted a longer distance relay to your X?

5. xclr82xtc

i cant wear earpeices and what not at work. i was just gonna get one, but boss lady said no. plus it would prolly get ruined anyway with coolant splashing on it and whatnot. that why i was thinking some simply flip type device for the pocket would be good. think of it as the smart phone being the "server" and the phone as a "client" when you really wanna get hard core go directly to the server, but for just answering calls/texts, use the client...

i know it sounds crazy, but for me, it would be very convienient just to leave my X on the dock and stick somethin in my pocket.

6. owen sixteen

owen sixteen Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of anything like what you are looking for. Sounds similar too a cordless house phone.

7. pattherat

pattherat Well-Known Member

i think it's a great idea for people who work in unfriendly environments. i work with metal and won't bring my droid in the shop because the speakers would be full of metal dust. so a little bluetooth or wifi mini phone that you could dial and text on would be very cool.

8. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

I searched very hard and couldn't find anything as simple as connecting the two devices in a certain way. However, I did have one idea. I've used this plenty before, but I've never thought to necessarily use it in this way.

PdaNet free edition - Android app on AppBrain

PDANet allows you to tether devices to your phone and use its connection. I know that the PC software allows you to intercept SMS. I also know that connecting one Bluetooth device to another has some practicality, as it's often used for file transfer and management back and forth. What I don't know is how well connecting the, "mini," phone to your X via Bluetooth and PDANet will work, but I think it's worth a shot. The application is free, so give it a try. If it doesn't work for voice/SMS, I imagine the reason is because the application is only utilizing your X's 3G connection, and not the X1 connection.

Let us know how it turns out. :)

9. Motorola

Motorola Active Member

I know what you are saying, but for me this would be useless. I do not work in unsafe environments, so carrying my Droid X around is no problem. But maybe this would be a good idea for construction workers and people like that.
    :)

10. xclr82xtc

as do i. im a machinist/designer. Metal/coolant environment is definately not any good for phones.

yeah i could see if you can carry your phone everywhere, but i would much rather leave mine in the break room, or my locker and i wont have to worry about ANYTHING happening to it. ...plus i could leave one in the kitchen and the other in the bed room and if it rings i can answer it either place...ya digg?

11. xclr82xtc

12. xclr82xtc

13. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Yeah I definitely get your reasoning for this. This is partly why I miss having GSM service. When I didn't want to bring my smart phone with me someplace for whatever reason, I'd just pop the sim into a cheap flip phone. I know you can do phone swaps online with Verizon but it sounds like a lot of hassle on a daily basis. I hope you end up finding something.

14. mas90guru

mas90guru Well-Known Member

Think about Google Voice -- which would unfortunately require giving everyone a new number -- but then you could buy a cheap prepaid phone and use that to make/receive calls when in a situation you couldn't use the Droid X.

The benefit is that all your callers (provided you went through Google Voice when calling) see only one number and would not know if you're calling from the Droid or the cheap prepaid.

Can text to/from the GV number too.

15. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Why not just use a pre-paid phone and set the Droid to forward calls to it between certain times or while at certain locations etc?

16. xclr82xtc

thats my next option. but i really didnt want to spend more money..already paying 230 dollars in phone bills every month lol

17. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

you could always just get a cheap flip phone and have your calls forwarded to it at work.

18. bobomatic

bobomatic Well-Known Member

you could add a line, and then forward the your number. this is what i do, i carry my old rival when im out "being active" it cost me 12.29 for the line, but i have a family text & talk plan..so not sure what plan you have. but i think 12.29 monthly would be cheaper then a pay as you go/prepay plan. plus the one time 25.00 activation

19. xclr82xtc

i was thinking of just writting my own app and stuff and making it work on my own..anyone know of a cheap android flip phone thats easy to hack/root?

20. jreed2560

I don't think there are android flip phones.

21. xclr82xtc

22. jreed2560

Really man? Really? Lol

23. xclr82xtc

24. xclr82xtc

i just googled..
    "android flip phone"

LOL

25. xclr82xtc

just figured id update you here...i got one of these

Casio Mobile | G?zOne Brigade Tough & Rugged QWERTY Smart Phone

seems to be pretty tough, ill be using it standalone till my x gets here, then ill be using that primarily, with call forwarding during work hours to this one.

now just need to see if there is a way to do it automatically during certain hours of the day :D

thanks for all the help guys, maybe one day someone will make one of the bluetooth deals like i was talkign about.!