Live Wallpaper really do make a dent in performance!

Last Updated:

1. 1080p

1080p Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So... since I have owned a N1, I have NEVER once tried the phone with a non-live wallpaper running. So, just a minute ago I set one of the papers in the Wallpaper Gallery... and....

WOW.

The phone runs silky smooth without a live wallpaper running.

Try it. Compare the animations of loading the app roll (the app button at the bottom). Try it with a live wallpaper and then without it.

WOAH! Big difference!

Live wallpapers... you were a nice extra... but your novelty has faded away. Not using them anymore.

PS... if they are hitting the N1 this hard... I can just imagine running them on a slower phone like the DROID. I might just scratch my eyes out. ;)

Advertisement
  2. shftatsix

shftatsix Member

100% agreed, also affects battery life

3. iVisionX01

iVisionX01 Member

Google just needs to get the new kernel ready so they can utilize more RAM, on Cyanogen Mod with his himem hack I have no problems running live wallpaper.

4. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

true, but your battery life suffers too then.

5. shftatsix

shftatsix Member

6. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

If the GPU was used on the home screen that would probably make quite a difference too?

7. adamlovesu

adamlovesu Well-Known Member

supposedly it also hits the battery pretty hard as well............

glad to see its the culprit of other things as well........eh when i get mine i wasnt planning on using this feature anyway no point lol.

8. adamlovesu

adamlovesu Well-Known Member

holy crap you can put a 2800 in this thing?!

9. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you have to deal with a horrific looking replacement battery cover.

10. sl33py

sl33py Active Member

I don't know if "in" is really accurate. More of you can "strap it on" to the back! hehehe.

Personally that seems to defeat the purpose of such a slim and appealing device. I will get the 1600mAh extra battery and have a spare if my usage is so heavy that i need it. It fits stock, that coupled with the cradle (that has 2nd batt slot to charge) should have me set.

I also got rid of the live wallpaper. Pretty, but not worth battery or performance hit. The screen itself is so gorgeous a good photo is all i need. YMMV - and expect I'll revisit as more live wallpapers become available.

11. turbosol16

turbosol16 Well-Known Member

The only live wallpaper I use now is grass, I don't really notice much of a performance hit with that one. I think it is basically a proof of concept that will be improved upon over time.

12. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

I've found that the Starfield live wallpaper (available in the marketplace for free) uses very little resources or battery...at least compared to the other live wallpapers i've tried.

13. spinkick

spinkick Member

I want some bling with my new sciencephone. Ill just have a car charger or extra battery. Gotta pay to play ;P

14. seeking

seeking Well-Known Member

bezial lines or whatever its called has shown me no difference in battery life/performance

15. RayKinStL

RayKinStL Well-Known Member

I have my Fireworks live wallpaper kicking and I love it too much to give it up. I make it through the day on my battery, but things will be really great when they come out with the car dock. Take 3 seconds to pop it in any time I get in the car and my battery will probably never fall below 50%. I love the desktop dock as well. Not having to plug things in to the bottom of my phone is nice :)

16. cxm

cxm Active Member

agree about graphics performance. However I use the live earth wallpaper (not useful but I love it) and I tested battery life before and after and noticed almost no difference at all.

17. club968

club968 Well-Known Member

Seeds of Life baby, Seeds of Life