• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Live Wallpapers.

Drognar

May 27, 2010
So I was deceived, I heard that android 2.1 phones were able to use Live Wallpapers, so foolishly I bought a $1.99 wallpaper, after trying to figure how to access it for about an hour, I did some searches only to figure out that my phone is an exclusion, what a load of crap. Since I can't refund now and I still would love to try to out this wallpaper, is there any safe way to enable them? The keyword here is safe, I'd rather not root my phone over this.

If you are not going to root the phone, the only other thing is to wait until you upgrade to a new phone. That live wallpaper will still be available to download to your new phone from the market without having to purchase it again.

There is also a way to return the phone back to stock from root if you do want to try rooting it. You can learn a lot more in the "All things root" subforum here, and particularly in the first four posts in this thread: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html

The xtrSENSE custom ROM can be installed right over stock without having to wipe data - so you keep all of your apps, data, and customizations (you would skip the step in the fourth post in the instructions above to "Wipe data/factory reset" and do a "Wipe Dalvik cache: instead) - and, if you install an alternate launcher like LauncherPro or ADW, you can try out the live wallpaper that you purchased to see if it works. That said, the Eris is a fairly low-end phone, and even the live wallpapers that work on it (not all do) do not work all that well, as I understand things. (I've never tried one myself, though my phone is rooted.)

Upvote 0
+1 to both doogald and Rossco_Pee.

The only other thing I might mention is the big battery drain you'll get from using the live wallpaper. I've often wanted to use live wallpapers, but I value my battery life more than the eye-candy.

As a matter of fact, I've used live wallpapers on my Droid X to help drain the battery faster for doing debugging / testing of my BattMonX app :p.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Sorry for the hijack, but I'm rooted and running xtrsense, and I can't even find the option for live wallpapers. Is there anything special I need to do?

When I had my rooted Eris I ran xtrROM and there was another component I had to flash to get live wallpaper. I recommend checking the thread on xda for your rom and seeing if there is an additional file you need to flash. If you cant figure it out email the dev.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones