• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Living without a status/notification bar

Hello all!

I recently flashed by trusty G1 to CyanogenMod 5. One of the changes this brought was that it, by default hid the notification/status bar at the top (where the battery/email/message etc icons are). Now I can bring it back no problem, but I have to say the homepages look a lot more elegant without that grey bar sitting along the top. I understand that this bar being hidden is a default on certain stock Android devices.

So I hide it. But then - I have no notifications! I can't see my call status, whether or not I have any mail (gmail) or messages, downloads - basically, I can't, at a glance, see what the current state of the phone is.

I was wondering how people get around this? Do you use widgets to show this info instead? I imagine there must exist some widget to indicate if you have a message/email or not? How do you get alerted to more obscure notifications (such as "application downloaded" etc)?

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones