Loading a rom

Last Updated:

1. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I rooted last night and installed hyrda kernel. Everything worked just fine. I now want to try to load up cyanogen and give it a try. My question is, if I don't like it, can I revert back to how I have it now? Also, once I load cyanogen, will I still have all of my apps, contacts, pics, etc? Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Just make sure and do a nandroid backup using either Rom Manager or by going directly into Clockwork Mod. Then you can revert back to exactly where you are now if you don't care for it.

Beatlesfan likes this.
  3. Beatlesfan

Thank you very much! After loading cyanogen will I still have my contacts, pictures, and such?

4. iowabowtech

Contacts are typically a function of re-syncing Google once you're up and running on the new Rom. Any pics on the SD card are a no-brainer because anything on the card is unaffected.

I suggest doing yourself a major favor and buy Titanium Backup. Then you have a 2nd line of defense that backs up everything and allows one click restore of all apps & data when flashing roms.

The ace in the hole is the nand backup. If anything goes south, you can always return to where you just came from.

5. Beatlesfan

I've got Titanium, thanks. I loaded cyanogen, and am now in the process of restoring my apps/data. If I don't care for it is there a way I can go back to just how I had it before? Or do I have to wipe and start fresh?

6. iowabowtech

Nandroid restore brings it back to how it was before. It does all the work, no additional step required by the user.

7. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

Do titanium backup, then use rom manager, it makes it super easy, it will back up before installing a new rom.

8. Beatlesfan

Thanks everyone. I tried out cyanogen last night and didn't care for it. Went back to rooted sense with hydra 1.15. This set up seems to work well for me.