• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Local roaming issue - how can I sort it in Android?

Phone: nexus 4

So I recently switched to the provider 3. Their coverage is far from perfect in my area, but luckily (or not), they provide 'roaming' onto Orange's network for 2G whenever they don't have enoguh coverage. Handy at the house where I have wifi obviously, and then the Orange back up for calls and texts.

I've noticed, however, that when going around, if I manually choose the 3 network, the signal is often really weak but still just about strong enough for me to stream radio on my way to/from work. If I let it choose networks automatically, after a short while when I lose the signal for a few seconds, it picks up a super strong Orange 2g signal (full bars with a R symbol) - and even when there is a weak 3 signal afterwards, the Orange 2g signal is so strong that it doesn't switch back to that until I have full bars on 3 pretty much. Quite annoying as I then can't really do anything even though there is just enough internet to use it!

I figured fine, I'll just keep it manually selected. But the odd thing is that then I only get internet (even where 3 has an amazing signal). The internet will be super fast but I can't make calls or texts as it says it has no connection.

Half the time I can't get the manual network selector to appear anyway.

Is there any sort of straightforward way (maybe an app or something to disable call/text roaming, not just data roaming - which maybe would work in killing a switch to Orange 2g?) that I can prevent this and stick to 3 most of the time when I know there's a bit of data, but still easily switch back to the Orange back up when I need/want it (like at home where it's my only option for calling/texting)?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones