• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Local sprint store says existing cust. Can't buy Evo outright

MisterB

Dec 25, 2009
How can this be? I'm not eligible for an upgrade for a few more months, but want to pay full price for the Evo anyway. Sprint said they won't sell it to customers like me. They said I would need to add a new line, and then pay the early cancellation fee on my current line and lose my current number. I'm a premier customer, and have been with them for 12 years.

They said they have a list, and can order the phone on Friday, and I'd have it by about Tuesday. This is an official sprint store, and not a kiosk.

Does this sound right to everyone?

Its not an "official" Sprint retail store, its an authorized dealer store and there is a difference. I just made a thread about this. The 3rd party stores may say Sprint all over them but they are not the same thing as a retail store and you are right, they are denying those of us paying retail. They are only selling to NEW customers on the first shipment because they make a commission of them. They do not make money from hardware sales. You need an official Sprint retail store, they will sell to anyone.

Upvote 0
Its not an "official" Sprint retail store, its an authorized dealer store and there is a difference. I just made a thread about this. The 3rd party stores may say Sprint all over them but they are not the same thing as a retail store and you are right, they are denying those of us paying retail. They are only selling to NEW customers on the first shipment because they make a commission of them. They do not make money from hardware sales. You need an official Sprint retail store, they will sell to anyone.

How does one tell the difference? I mean, this isn't one of those places that has other carrier phones for sale. They only carry sprint. They were also able to access my account in their system.

Upvote 0
How does one tell the difference? I mean, this isn't one of those places that has other carrier phones for sale. They only carry sprint. They were also able to access my account in their system.

Ask them straight out if they are a "Sprint retail store". They cannot legally say yes if they are not. They will say they are an "authorized dealer". Big difference. Also, if you look up local stores around you on Google maps and open the map, it lists locations A-G or whatever on the left side. You will notice that the retail stores will have the Sprint logo, the 3rd party stores do not.

Also, use the store locator on Sprint.com The authorized dealer stores says Sprint Store by 3G Cellular or something like that. The corporate stores just say Sprint Store

Upvote 0
Ask them straight out if they are a "Sprint retail store". They cannot legally say yes if they are not. They will say they are an "authorized dealer". Big difference. Also, if you look up local stores around you on Google maps and open the map, it lists locations A-G or whatever on the left side. You will notice that the retail stores will have the Sprint logo, the 3rd party stores do not.

Thanks! That was the problem. I called an official store, and did the pre order on my existing line at full retail.

Upvote 0

Getting a straight answer out of the people around here was tough. There are no Sprint corporate stores near me. All of them are individually owned.

The main Sprint store near here looks like the real deal, has a repair center and you can go there for anything. It just says Sprint on the door, all the employees wear strictly Sprint uniforms, etc etc.

Yet it's owned by iPCS Wireless (the same d-bags stopping Grand Rapids from having 4G right now). I ended up more or less befriending one of the reps who told me I had to contact iPCS if I was looking for a job. They're not a "real" Sprint store. The closest one to me is about two hours away. I had a 16GB class 6 SDHC card disappear there while the tech was fixing my Touch Pro and there was nothing I could do about it. I gave it to him with a card, I got it back with nothing. They're fantastic people.

Best bet to know for sure is to call Sprint customer service and ask them to locate the nearest -corporate- store near you.

Upvote 0
You got a corporate store to take a pre order? Wow, you are lucky. Every store around here is doing first come, first served...no orders at all.

Yeah. The guy said they got a bunch of Evos in stock today, printed out a receipt for me, and said I could come get the receipt if I'd like. He also said they got a bunch of cases, hdmi cables, etc in stock today.

Of course i can't pick up the phone until Friday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones