1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Locale almost had me hyperventilating this morning!

Last Updated:

1. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'd seen a few people on here had it and liked it, I thought it'd be neat to set my phone to airplane mode when I was asleep.

I downloaded locale and the airplane mode app.

Last night I set it all up, had a situation set to 'bed time' and it worked ok.

This morning, the airplane mode was supposed to go off at 6 am and it never did. I couldn't get it off! I went into the market to uninstall it, but of course, with nothing coming in for signal, I couldn't connect to the market.

I was about to flip out, I rebooted, and thought it had fixed it, but as soon as the phone loaded up again, airplane mode came right back on. I tried to change the situations on locale, my default situation was set to turn it off too, I tried manually turning it off, I tried appkiller to shut it down...nothing worked.

I finally created a new situation and set it to turn airplane mode off, and finally it worked. I uninstalled both apps,.

So just an FYI, if it happens to anyone, try making a new situation (I used time) and setting it to off.

I'm never installing locale again, I thought I somehow permanently put my phone on lock down.

Now with that being said, is there a way to uninstall apps without going through the market?

Advertisement
  2. jfritzs2

jfritzs2 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. It seems like you could have manually changed airplane mode, that would over ride Locale - Settings, Wireless Controls, down at the bottom is Airplane mode, just uncheck that. Or hold power, then tap Airplane mode. Tada! I would suggest try giving it a go again and figure out how to correct anything you need to before you complain about it.

I believe that Locale is a great app, its always worked for me. The main reason I would use it would be for location - school, church, home, etc. But sometimes the it would turn on the default setting when it wasn't supposed to and so my ringer would go off. Until there is a better way to get a good positioning besides having your GPS on all the time, then I won't use it for what I'd like to use it.

I understand your frustration, but its a great app and I'd say give it a try again.

3. Dredlok

Dredlok Member

You can also uninstall applications by going into:

Settings > Application Settings > Manage Applications

4. K-Rizzle

I did manually turn off airplane mode via Settings>Wireless Controls, it didn't work. Nothing would turn it off. :(

5. K-Rizzle

Awesome! Good to know! That's exactly the info I needed. :D

6. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Well-Known Member

Make sure you have a default situation (the configure defaults button) or else the previous situations settings will stay.

7. K-Rizzle

I did have my default situation set. It was set for regular ring, vibrate, etc. And airplane mode off.

8. byebyethehihi

byebyethehihi New Member

Hi guys,

I have just got the HTC Hero and installed Locale last night. I set up a few locations and it seemed to work for the 'home' setting last night, but today it hasn't picked up the 'work' setting.

I have set up the default setting after reading about it on this thread and thinking that may have been the issue but it hasn't made any difference?

Is there anything I am missing? Is there another setting on the phone I need to dis/enable for it to work?

9. mikespe

mikespe Well-Known Member

If you used GPS for your work setting it COULD be the building you work in. I work in a big school and the GPS had problems finding my location inside of it. I have read others having similar problems with the GPS not just on the Droid but GPS in general.

10. byebyethehihi

byebyethehihi New Member

No mate - I set it manually from my home last night. I tried going in and trying it via the GPS earlier this morning but it just showed me the map with the icon where I put it (to be fair it was in the right place lol).

Would it maybe be an idea to remove the location and try it again?

11. holee

holee New Member

I've had problems with Locale and the GPS on my Droid.

Other GPS apps I have can get a lock on fairly quick, but Locale seems to be much slower at it, to the points where I cannot rely on it.

Every other feature is great, though.

12. Tranquility.HTC

Tranquility.HTC Member

Does it come with a list of things that may need correcting due to its unforseen behaviour? Or does one rely entirely on hindsight? Your response seemed a tad harsh to me.

13. byebyethehihi

byebyethehihi New Member

Well I removed the location and re-set it before switching the phone off and back on again and it seems to have picked it up now so maybe I had incorrectly set the location, or maybe a combination of that and the default settings.