• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locale and flurry agent collecting info

esocid

Dec 8, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I discovered this while scanning a log dump after an app crashed on me and spotted something called "flurry agent" sending something. After a quick search, I found one other forum (androidcommunity.com) with a post about it. Their site (flurry.com) describes collecting analytics for developers.

Now, using it, and telling your users it's sending potentially identifying information to a third party is one thing. Making no mention of it, whatsoever, is another. If it sent normal download and usage statistics and info such as make/model and OS, that would be no problem. However, along with that info, it apparently sends the IMEI number.

This is sketchy part #2 that Locale has done. The first being, telling you there is an update, when there isn't one in the market, and forcing you to pay for it, without telling you in advance. I was informed of this after I suspected something, and ignored the "update" request. I do like the program, and would have considered paying for it, but not $10, and especially not being deceived into it too.

I know Locale and Flurry are legit, but not notifying your users you are collecting information, and potentially identifiable information, doesn't sit well with me. It isn't mentioned on Locale's website either. The user did mention Flurry will be encrypting the info, but I can't verify that.

Just a heads up to anyone using Locale.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones