Locale app need 4G support!

Last Updated:

1. Brent Pierce

Brent Pierce Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've put in a request to add 4G support in Locale, the very popular app that lets you switch settings for certain conditions.

Lets get this thing approved by casting your vote on the feedback forum.
    Click this and cast your vote! Even if you don't use locale or are in a 4G city. (I am :), Lubbock Tx)

Thanks everyone!~!!

Advertisement
  2. Brent Pierce

Note from dev
    "This is not possible, as HTC doesn't allow apps to toggle 4G.
    I don't see this ever being possible, as apps also cannot toggle 3G either due to Android restrictions."

Oh well. I tried.

Admins, go ahead and delete this thread whenever you're ready.

3. JoeDirte

JoeDirte New Member

4. wvufan

wvufan Active Member

If you search "locale 4g" in market, you'll find a plugin now.

5. Brent Pierce

Beautiful! Thanks brother.

6. Tyzing

Tyzing Active Member

Is it normal for Locale to be using 90% of my battery life? I asked in the battery thread but nobody reads those

7. wvufan

wvufan Active Member

It may be for getting the location for your conditions. Mine does not even show up in the battery use screen. I do have my phone's location settings allowing wireless networks and GPS, although I don't think I've seen Locale turn on the GPS. There is a warning on the WiFi setting screen that says if your locations have a radius less than 2000 m that Locale will periodically turn on WiFi to get a better fix, and the same may hold for GPS. I made all my locations have a radius of 2km just to be sure, although I didn't notice a problem before when I had them smaller (around 500 m). I would think as long as Locale can determine location with only the cell tower location that the power use would be minimal, so maybe look at your locations for an idea.

8. Brent Pierce

That's a definite NO.
    I never see Locale on the battery usage list. Last night was the only time, and it only used 2% after 17 hrs off charger. I keep GPS on all day, and have multiple situations in Locale. Home, Work, Movies, Headphones Plugged In, etc.

I'm not sure what would make it use 90% of battery. Maybe it's switching situations constantly. If you are using a location as the condition, try expanding the location range. I've noticed mine jump in and out of a situation because the range was too small.

Just a thought.
    Please, keep us updated.

9. ccjernigan

ccjernigan Member

I am the developer of Locale.

The extreme battery usage is actually a cosmetic bug in how battery statistics are reported on HTC phones. Locale's actual battery usage is closer to 3%, not 90%. This cosmetic issue is related to an HTC bug in the orientation sensor. If you disable any situations using the Orientation condition, this cosmetic issue will go away.

In general, it is better to notice how long the battery lasts (in hours) rather than rely on the percentages reported by the Android battery statistics. If any app were really using 90% of the battery, the phone would be dead within about 4 hours.

If you have questions about Locale, please contact us directly for support and also be sure to visit Locale - Support

Frisco likes this.