locale in uk

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jaybo1973, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Nottinghamshire
    Hi all

I keep hearing good things about locale but can't really work out its main function. It is over 6 quid in the UK and there is no trial version. I can't warrant spending that sort of cash on am app without testing. What is It exactly?

Advertisement
  2. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Software Developer
    On the sofa
    It offers the ability to automate the behaviour of your phone based on location, time, day, and events such as receiving a text message etc.

As an ex-locale user who's also tried using other similar apps (eg Setting Profiles) I'd strongly suggest looking at Tasker which (IMHO) I find far superior; it's also cheaper and covers many events that require separate plugins for locale :D

Tasker also has a 7 day trial available from the developer's site here: Tasker for Android
    There is a very active support forum here: https://groups.google.com/group/tasker?hl=en

There are also a number of detailed threads on this and other Android forums where people share the ways they are using Tasker.

A word to the wise. There is a learning curve with Tasker, however I (and many others) think it's totally worth the effort. It is (IMHO) the app that truly demonstrates the advantages of Android and has fundamentally changed the way I use my phone.

Note I am not associated with Tasker's developer in any way. Merely a very satisfied customer.

3. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Nottinghamshire
    THanks very much for your in depth response. Tasker certainly sounds interesting. The reason I originally took an interest in locale was because there is a plug in for astrid. It sounds like they offer alot more than that.

4. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Software Developer
    On the sofa
    You're welcome :D

As far as I know plugins that work with locale will also work with Tasker, so Astrid should present no problem.