1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

locale in uk

Last Updated:

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all

I keep hearing good things about locale but can't really work out its main function. It is over 6 quid in the UK and there is no trial version. I can't warrant spending that sort of cash on am app without testing. What is It exactly?

Advertisement
  2. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

It offers the ability to automate the behaviour of your phone based on location, time, day, and events such as receiving a text message etc.

As an ex-locale user who's also tried using other similar apps (eg Setting Profiles) I'd strongly suggest looking at Tasker which (IMHO) I find far superior; it's also cheaper and covers many events that require separate plugins for locale :D

Tasker also has a 7 day trial available from the developer's site here: Tasker for Android
    There is a very active support forum here: https://groups.google.com/group/tasker?hl=en

There are also a number of detailed threads on this and other Android forums where people share the ways they are using Tasker.

A word to the wise. There is a learning curve with Tasker, however I (and many others) think it's totally worth the effort. It is (IMHO) the app that truly demonstrates the advantages of Android and has fundamentally changed the way I use my phone.

Note I am not associated with Tasker's developer in any way. Merely a very satisfied customer.

3. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

THanks very much for your in depth response. Tasker certainly sounds interesting. The reason I originally took an interest in locale was because there is a plug in for astrid. It sounds like they offer alot more than that.

4. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

You're welcome :D

As far as I know plugins that work with locale will also work with Tasker, so Astrid should present no problem.