1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Locale is $10??!

Last Updated:

1. Dabrador

Dabrador Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was checking some of my apps to see if there were any recent updates. I checked in on Locale and noticed that it's obviously out of beta and now $10!

Is anyone using the paid version now? What do you get for that amount of money?

Advertisement
  2. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

Locale never worked for me. I set up a "work" situation and it would set my ringer to vibe and silent but would never reset to the default after leaving the defined location.

Even if it worked right, no way i'd pay $10 for it. There are other apps out there that I would try first. FoxyRing and Timeriffic are two I've seen today.

3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I prefer the manual switching of Quick Profiles.

4. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Quick Profiles doesn't appear to toggle GPS, which is a shame. It'd be perfect if it did.

I've only been using Locale (the beta) for a couple days, with no discernible problems, but I can't see paying $9.99 for it even if it does everything it says it will, flawlessly.

The dev should've done some market research. lol

5. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

just another example of how grossly overpriced some things are in this Market

6. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

I noticed the $9.99 price tag and couldn't help but giggle. It was a cool concept for free..I would say its worth $1.99 but $9.99....ur crazy!

7. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

If we have the free version are we going to be forced to pay if we try to upgrade? I like Locale, but 10 bucks is robbery. I'd pay 2, maybe 3 bucks for it.

8. detroid

detroid Well-Known Member

Obviously the dev didn't do much market research.

9. mrthundercleese

mrthundercleese Well-Known Member

Not a chance I'd pay $10 for this. I enjoyed the beta but $10 is crazy.

10. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

Locale never really worked for me, either. It would change things based on time, but the location was never correct. It also would put my phone into a reboot loop frequently, too. I ended up uninstalling it. The concept is solid, but IMO it isn't even close to being out of Beta yet. The dev has a ton of work left to do.

11. CardinalFan22

CardinalFan22 Active Member

Ha there will be a lower price in a day or two when they see that noone will ever pay 10 bucks for this kinda app and if you did pay for this app then......you should be checked out for brain issues ;)

12. Dabrador

Agreed...$10 bucks is nuts! If I remember correctly, Locale was developed by a group of MIT students who entered a contest to develop a "killer android app". On paper, the app is a great idea but it's evident the students didn't consider pricing research when throwing it out there for an outrageous amount.

Switching to Quick Profiles...

13. soulesschild

soulesschild Well-Known Member

I switched to timeriffic. It's awesome since I used to use Locale for time based profile switching

14. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

I like Timeriffic too.

15. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

Locale didnt work for me either. To slow to switch; rarely knew where I was, drained the battery. Couldnt do a simple thing like silence the phone for during appointments. Have to set it up for every single appointment which is more work than just silencing the phone.

16. whosdadog

whosdadog Member

Locale has always worked fantastically for me. I use it to silence during school hours by time, and it always works. I also have it set to silence when I at the movies, which is based on location. The app only checks for location every 10 minutes, but it always works for me.

I DO have a problem paying $10 for the app, but I feel there is a sad realization. In the 48 Hours they have had the $10 app on the market, over 100-500 people have paid for it, so unfortunately for the mainstream population, they know that people ARE willing to pay the outrageous price, so unfortunately they are un likely to reduce it by that much. I have a feeling that we wont see any price drop for a month or more. If they do ever lower that price, I doubt it will ever go below $5.

Jon

17. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Yeah it needs a few more options like the ability to turn off the mobile data network. But together with that+the android power widget+ APNDroid I think I have most bases covered.

18. fenderplayer

fenderplayer Member

I agree with everyone saying that $10 is to much. I like the app and it was very useful but is not worth that much. They said that all the money is being donated to charity but how do we know? I e-mailed them last night on this subject and IF I receive a response back I will post it.

19. whosdadog

whosdadog Member

Regardless of wether or not it is going to charity, $10 is way too much for an app like this. At $10, it is one of the most expensive apps on the market. The app should have gone the donation route, or at most charged $5. For $10, they are going to loose 99% of their user base, and make maybe a few thousand dollars total. For $5, they would loose 50% of their user base, but make about the same amount, but keep alot more users happy. For $1.99 they would loose 10% of their userbase, but they would make a whole lot more money then they will charging $10. At $1.99, I could easily see them making $10k off of the app. What they have done has to be one of the stupidest moves in history of the android market, and obviously whoever did their market research needs to be fired.

20. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

Maybe MIT needs to offer Marketing 101

21. whosdadog

whosdadog Member

They wouldn't even get Marketing 101. They need to start with Marketing 50. They are still too stupid for 101. Poor saps.

22. gnur

gnur Active Member

And on what research is this based?

23. Dabrador

It's called common sense.

24. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I think he's wondering where you pulled the 10%/50% user base figures from. Common sense is one thing, but that's a pretty specific claim to just come up with out of the blue.

25. whosdadog

whosdadog Member

Well think about it. Locale was said to be one of the amazing apps that could never work on the iPhone because of all the access to the phone it requires. It was basically one of the flagship apps to show off just what android can do. To go, without any prior provocation, and start charging a very high price for an app, is obscene. And the numbers aren't completely out of the blue. They are based off the fact that the original free app has 50,000 - 250,000 downloads, while the $10 app has less than 500. I will err on the side of caution, and guess that the Original app has somewhere close to 100k downloads, and that IS thousands of times more than however many people will ever pay $10 for the app.