• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locale is $10??!

Locale never worked for me. I set up a "work" situation and it would set my ringer to vibe and silent but would never reset to the default after leaving the defined location.

Even if it worked right, no way i'd pay $10 for it. There are other apps out there that I would try first. FoxyRing and Timeriffic are two I've seen today.

Upvote 0
I prefer the manual switching of Quick Profiles.

Quick Profiles doesn't appear to toggle GPS, which is a shame. It'd be perfect if it did.

I've only been using Locale (the beta) for a couple days, with no discernible problems, but I can't see paying $9.99 for it even if it does everything it says it will, flawlessly.

The dev should've done some market research. lol

Upvote 0
Agreed...$10 bucks is nuts! If I remember correctly, Locale was developed by a group of MIT students who entered a contest to develop a "killer android app". On paper, the app is a great idea but it's evident the students didn't consider pricing research when throwing it out there for an outrageous amount.

Switching to Quick Profiles...

Upvote 0
Locale has always worked fantastically for me. I use it to silence during school hours by time, and it always works. I also have it set to silence when I at the movies, which is based on location. The app only checks for location every 10 minutes, but it always works for me.

I DO have a problem paying $10 for the app, but I feel there is a sad realization. In the 48 Hours they have had the $10 app on the market, over 100-500 people have paid for it, so unfortunately for the mainstream population, they know that people ARE willing to pay the outrageous price, so unfortunately they are un likely to reduce it by that much. I have a feeling that we wont see any price drop for a month or more. If they do ever lower that price, I doubt it will ever go below $5.

Jon

Upvote 0
Quick Profiles doesn't appear to toggle GPS, which is a shame. It'd be perfect if it did.

I've only been using Locale (the beta) for a couple days, with no discernible problems, but I can't see paying $9.99 for it even if it does everything it says it will, flawlessly.

The dev should've done some market research. lol

Yeah it needs a few more options like the ability to turn off the mobile data network. But together with that+the android power widget+ APNDroid I think I have most bases covered.

Upvote 0
Regardless of wether or not it is going to charity, $10 is way too much for an app like this. At $10, it is one of the most expensive apps on the market. The app should have gone the donation route, or at most charged $5. For $10, they are going to loose 99% of their user base, and make maybe a few thousand dollars total. For $5, they would loose 50% of their user base, but make about the same amount, but keep alot more users happy. For $1.99 they would loose 10% of their userbase, but they would make a whole lot more money then they will charging $10. At $1.99, I could easily see them making $10k off of the app. What they have done has to be one of the stupidest moves in history of the android market, and obviously whoever did their market research needs to be fired.

Upvote 0
Regardless of wether or not it is going to charity, $10 is way too much for an app like this. At $10, it is one of the most expensive apps on the market. The app should have gone the donation route, or at most charged $5. For $10, they are going to loose 99% of their user base, and make maybe a few thousand dollars total. For $5, they would loose 50% of their user base, but make about the same amount, but keep alot more users happy. For $1.99 they would loose 10% of their userbase, but they would make a whole lot more money then they will charging $10. At $1.99, I could easily see them making $10k off of the app. What they have done has to be one of the stupidest moves in history of the android market, and obviously whoever did their market research needs to be fired.

And on what research is this based?

Upvote 0
And on what research is this based?
Well think about it. Locale was said to be one of the amazing apps that could never work on the iPhone because of all the access to the phone it requires. It was basically one of the flagship apps to show off just what android can do. To go, without any prior provocation, and start charging a very high price for an app, is obscene. And the numbers aren't completely out of the blue. They are based off the fact that the original free app has 50,000 - 250,000 downloads, while the $10 app has less than 500. I will err on the side of caution, and guess that the Original app has somewhere close to 100k downloads, and that IS thousands of times more than however many people will ever pay $10 for the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones