Locale & Text - How to change to English?Support

Last Updated:

1. MurryDroid

MurryDroid New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey people,

Recently bought a SE Xperia x10, great little phone for sure. Running Android 1.6 at the moment (hopefully to be upgraded soon)

One slight problem though, since it seems to have come from Hong Kong, when sending a text there are Chinese characters in some sections.

So, I went to Locale & Text and selected English - Australia. Under Text Settings head though it has Chinese Keyboard & HWR - which is where the problem lies....

I can't get rid of it. Basically i got into Chinese Keyboard & HWR and the only languages available to select are, you guessed it Chinese!

I don't speak Chinese! lol

OPTIONS:
    Can i delete this keyboard in the phone application settings or something?

Can i download a English keyboard thing off the Market?

What other Options do i have really? :confused:Cheers

Advertisement
  2. MurryDroid

MurryDroid New Member This Topic's Starter

After hours of trying to work it out, i finally did! haha

For anyone else out there having the same problem. hold down in the section you are writing your text, a menu will come up.

Select "Input Method", then select "Default Input"

This will change the language back to ENGLISH :)

(Great to know for you folks who bought their phones overseas and have pre-loaded dictionaries on them for other languages)

3. wasiimabbas

wasiimabbas New Member

I also had the same problem and got the solution thnx to you.

4. Rubixious

Rubixious Member

I know this is in the Xperia X10 space, but for those with a touch screen like the Desire HD for example, who happened to google and land on this page, especially after the last Arabic update...

The same will work if you press and hold the text area of your screen while in text-messaging - it will come up with "Input Method" where you can select "Touch Screen" instead of, say, Arabic keyboard.

Unfortunately I want to get rid of all the Arabic on all the numbers on widgets/in apps throughout my phone, so this didn't help me, but I'll keep searching...