1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

locale update settings

Last Updated:

1. winchendonsprings

winchendonsprings Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to slow down the gps update setting on locale? It seems to check about every 4 - 5 mins or so for me. is there a way to slow it down? I fear it is killing my battery

Advertisement
  2. winchendonsprings

winchendonsprings Member This Topic's Starter

I could no longer deal with leaving the GPS on constatly. I leave "Use Wireless Networks" and "Location Settings" enabled in the Location section of my Settings. Locale could not seem to disable my wifi when I left home.

Is enabling the GPS feature crucial for Locale? That seems counter productive to what I'm trying to do by saving batter by having it turn off wifi.

3. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Well-Known Member

Battery drain using "Locale" is why most have moved to "Setting Profiles."

That and the fact that the $9.99 price tag for Locale is outrageous considering that the beta worked much better.

4. gizbug

gizbug Well-Known Member

Battery drain was that bad in Locale?

5. Johnny Cakes

It is a big user of GPS = battery drain.

6. davecor

davecor Member

I'm looking at loading a profiler. I leave GPS enabled since I learned that it's only a battery drain if a program that is using it is active. Wouldn't Setting Profiles be as much of a battery drain as Locale if you set profiles based on GPS-derived location?

Thanks for input.

7. Johnny Cakes

No. Unlike Locale, Setting Profiles does not use precise GPS positioning. Rather SP can determine your location from Google My Location Api, cell tower ids, and/or visibility of a specific WiFi network (you do not actually have to be logged in).

Depending on the density of the cell towers, the Google My Location and cell tower ids can be pretty darn accurate for a non-GPS service. WiFi networks are usually very small and for the right application (e.g. work place) can be extremely reliable.

SP can control GPS (i.e. turn it on/off as part of a profile) but does not use battery draining GPS like Locale does.

davecor likes this.
  8. TJConnery

TJConnery New Member

I found that I can get Locale to recognize where I am only using cell towers. You have to drag the radius of the circle out to include your location. As far as battery use, I have accepted it for what it is, and have chargers in 4 places home, office, car, bedside.

9. Johnny Cakes

LOL! That's exactly what I did until I dumped Locale for Setting Profiles and now don't have battery issues.

10. Sturge[Droid]

Sturge[Droid] Well-Known Member

pay the 0.99 and use the calendar functin isntead of gps...the gps is too broad anyway...

11. davecor

davecor Member

I've experimented with Settings Profile Lite with intent to buy, but apparently I'm not doing something right. I set up a Home profile (did some research and made sure the stars are "lit" yellow) with wifi active and bluetooth off and screen low, defined Home location by coordinates (since wifi won't be on initially), and defined an action to use the Home profile when at the location Home. I've then set the phone at work manually with bluetooth on and screen at maximum, confirmed the Settings Profile app is active, and driven home. It does not adjust the phone setting to the Home profile. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have a Motodroid. Thanks.