Location is totally off whack. (Weather + Google Maps + Foursquare)

1. Norfolkadam

Norfolkadam New Member

I got a new Wildfire about a week ago and I've been loving it, I used it in London and at home here in Norfolk with no problems until yesterday. All of a sudden my weather location changed to Sheffield. Huh?

When I went into Google Maps it locked my location to be a park on the outskirts of Sheffield then after a few minutes it would find my real location. I turned off Wifi and using Wireless Networks to locate and it stopped doing that in Google Maps but wouldn't change the weather location and sometimes when I'm using Foursquare it will come up with a random list of places near Sheffield.

This morning I wake up, turn on my phone and it decides it's in Aberdeen where apparently it's sunny. That's on the other side of the country and I just can't shake it off my weather gadget.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. amg_1969

amg_1969 Well-Known Member

Move to Aberdeen as the weather in Suffolk is crap :p
  3. amg_1969

amg_1969 Well-Known Member

Seriously take the battery out and see it that sorts it out
  4. Norfolkadam

Norfolkadam New Member

Tried that, tried leaving it off overnight, removing and re-adding the widget, refreshing the weather, tried different locations. Still thinks I'm in Aberdeen.

To be honest it'll be exciting to see where it thinks I am tomorrow. :eek:
  5. KX36

KX36 Member

You think you've got problems, I connected to the wifi on an East Coast train from London to Leeds and it thought I was is Sweden. Facebook even locked me out until I completed some security questions because it found this suspicious and thought I'd been hacked.
  6. Norfolkadam

Norfolkadam New Member

I'm guessing it's something to do with Wifi. I have the same thing on East Coast with my laptop, it brings up Facebook and Google in Swedish. Heaven only knows why.

The company opposite my house is based in Aberdeen so perhaps their wifi is routed through Aberdeen. When I was in town today I used the wifi in Starbucks and it grounded itself back in Great Yarmouth. I suppose it's an inherent issue with using Wifi to locate onself, I'll just have to suck it up.