• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Location & Large Cards - Facer

I know nothing about the Gear Live, so can't help with that. I assume however that your location question refers to a phone rather than the watch.

For location, where are you (urban, suburban, rural, isolated?) and what location mode do you have set? For example, I normally use "device only", as I prefer not to share my location with Google or anyone else. But a couple of weeks ago I was in Manhattan, where because of the limited visibility of the sky the only way to maintain any semi-usable location setting was to enable "high precision" mode and turn on WiFi (I do not allow WiFi to be used in the background for location purposes when off), hence allowing the device to use Google's SSID map to get an approximate location. Crossing over to the Bronx (much more open) location worked much better. Back in the UK I switched back to "device only" and it's just fine.

You can use an app called "GPS Status and Toolbox" to force an AGPS data update, which may speed up GPS location, especially if you have not used it for a while or have moved a long distance since the last usage. All you have to do is open the app up while you have a live internet connection and that will be done (though you can also leave it running and watch it get a GPS fix). If you've had a recent GPS fix the next one should be quicker, but "cold starts" (where the phone has no idea where you are and has to work it out from scratch) take longer - with my current phone it's typically 35-45 seconds for a GPS cold start, but my previous, less powerful, one could take 2 minutes at times. Accuracy shouldn't be a problem with GPS if you can see the sky, but if you use "low power" mode (WiFi and cellular info only) then the accuracy can be quite poor unless there is a high density of wireless networks (but conversely speed of location should be quite quick).

Reactions: TechFreeway™
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones