• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Location settings in system and apps

flatH2O

Dec 18, 2009
What do you think? If I have all my location settings on at system level, do I need to turn them all on in each individual program, too? I haven't been able to find what each location option does different than the others.

For example, my phone system has "yes" checked for all of these: Use wireless networks (See location in applications--such as Maps--using wireless networks; Location setting (Allow network to detect your position); Use GPS satellites

In WeatherBug Elite I have the option to say "yes" to these on the app level: Enable My Location (Allows the app to find your current position); Enable Follow Me (Tracks your location in the background); Use Network (Turn on/off network location fixes); Use GPS (Turn on/off GPS location fixes)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones