"Lock instantly with power key" option missingSupport

Last Updated:

1. barrabing

barrabing Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 running jelly bean. Every time I turn the screen off the phone locks instantly and I need to enter the PIN (even though I have the lock setting set to 10 minutes).

Under Settings > Lock screen there used to be a check-box option "Lock instantly with power key" which I could have unchecked. But that option is missing.

Has it been removed from jelly bean or is it a problem with my phone? Any other suggestions (or apps I could download) on how to turn the screen off without locking the phone?

2. AndroidGuide

AndroidGuide Member

On most android phones under settings, it would have an option where it has for you to lock the screen, and set a password. And under display it asks you how long do you want the phone screen to be off before locking and you can select the option you want. But I'm not sure if my phone is the same as yours.
    barrabing likes this.
  3. barrabing

barrabing Member

Thanks Android Guide. Yes I have selected 10 minutes over there. However, if I press the power button to put the screen off it locks the phone instantly. On a few other jelly bean phones that I have seen there is an option under settings that says "Lock screen instantly with power key". If you uncheck that, then when you put the screen off using the power key the phone stays unlocked for 10 minutes. That's what I'd like to do but option is missing from my phone.
  4. taprackbang

taprackbang New Member

Yes, it's still there on the S3 after the upgrade. I don't have the phone with me now, but it's still there..I did it yesterday myself.
    barrabing likes this.
  5. barrabing

barrabing Member

Thanks taprackbang. Are you on AT&T? If yes, would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of that option? AT&T insists that it is not available on the AT&T version of Jelly Bean for the S3.

Anyone else have any ideas of how to "fix" this?

6. WilliamSiddall

WilliamSiddall New Member

Hello, barrabing. I have a GS3 with Jellybean on ATT. I confirm that "Lock instantly with power key" is missing.
    barrabing likes this.
  7. barrabing

barrabing Member

Thanks William. I find it massively annoying but now at least I can rule out a conspiracy theory against me :)
  8. pneum0

pneum0 New Member

I thought I was going crazy, but I just found it on my SGS3 i747 on AT&T. Here's how:
    Settings>Lock Screen
    Tap on Secured Lock Time
    Top option is "Instantly with the poser key or when the screen times out."

Now if I could only figure out why my lock screen keeps randomly disabling itself...
  9. barrabing

barrabing Member

Thanks pneum0 but actually I have the opposite problem. I don't want my phone to lock when I put the screen off. And I haven't found a way to do that. You can uncheck the option "Lock instantly with power key" on many other phones running ice cream sandwich and jelly bean but this option doesn't exist on the i747 running jelly bean (it does exist on the ice cream sandwich version).
  10. zhenya

zhenya New Member

Has anyone been able to figure this out? Just got this phone from AT&T after having it on Verizon and this lock option is annoying.
  11. spiritsoul

spiritsoul New Member

SOLVED: Had the same problem with S5 (lollipop) - Missing 'Lock instantly with power key' option. Originally it was there then I changed from PIN Lock Screen to Swipe lock screen - that's when it went missing. Changed back to PIN lock screen and the option is now available again. It appears the updates took the option away from Swipe mode (bummer as I had it on my S3.) Why oh why would that take that option away in swipe ; )))