• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lock Screen App

Hey Android Phans,

I'm not sure if i'm not supposed to so shamelessly link to my app, but I made a lock screen app (and fixed up all the bugs last week) that I think you guys will really like: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.whitegorillamedia.lockscreen

It looks great with all backgrounds (including live wallpapers) and works on tablets with a news section. I'd love to hear any suggestions to make the app better.

Thanks!

WG

I never have understood lockscreen apps. My Galaxy Player goes from Lockscreen to screen off in about 3 seconds. I use "no-lock" but whether locked or not, lockscreen just doesn't stay. So what's the point? Why would you want to leave your screen on anyway? "Maybe" for seeing what song is playing... but just seems like a battery drain to me.

Upvote 0
I use it and hope people will find it useful for a few reasons:

1) If you want to take a photo, you dont have to go through a few steps to get to your camera, you can just slide to the left from your lockscreen (my two previous phones, Droid 3 and Galaxy Nexus, dont even have camera buttons).

2) If you want to change tracks quickly or need to turn off your music for class, meeting, etc.

3) Just to see the weather (and you can clear up that widget space on your home screen).

4)If your sitting in a meeting/class you can quickly check who text messaged you or turn off your ringer if you forgot.

5) Quick access to texts and music from the unlocker.

Of course its not for everyone and I appreciate your input tcat. Also, the app was designed to take minimal battery drain (even minimal design attributes to all small resources which are very easy to process)

Btw, No Lock works great in conjunction with my app for phones that have custom lock screens (HTC, Motorola, etc.).

Upvote 0
Great looking app. I already am using a lock screen app, but think these apps are very useful. I like how I can take a quick glance at new e-mails, facebook, next alarm, text messages, missed calls, etc. and can set up some widgets and short cuts. Very useful to not have to go and unlock the phone.

Upvote 0
I never have understood lockscreen apps. My Galaxy Player goes from Lockscreen to screen off in about 3 seconds. I use "no-lock" but whether locked or not, lockscreen just doesn't stay. So what's the point? Why would you want to leave your screen on anyway? "Maybe" for seeing what song is playing... but just seems like a battery drain to me.

Its for a bit of customization and a bit of not having to unlock the screen to get at a message/email/missed call (using missed it on widget locker), and music controls without having to unlock screen etc. Its removes a step. For example, normally its take phone out of pocket>wake screen>unlock>(possibly a swipe)>next track. With a custom lock screen, its take out of pocket>wake>next track. OR FOR MESSAGES: Normally its take out of pocket>wake screen>unlock>pull down notifcation bar>click the notification>read. For widget locker its pull from pants>wake screen>press on missed it! notification>read

Upvote 0
To follow what chanchan05 is saying, I like the customizability of replacing the lock screen. I have a battery widget that goes down to the individual percent, my calendar's upcoming appointments, and the weather, without having to find and open those apps, or have that many more widgets on my home screen.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the compliment, itsallgood, and thanks chanchan and ryan for the other notes (it seems you have more the mindset of what I imagine a user of my app would have, though there are a few lock screen selections out there).

Hope any users have any suggestions for me, I spent the last week implementing users suggestions (and fixing their submitted bugs) and am truly enjoying just making a better product for users.

Now I'm going to go back to reading the full thread of "Android app ideads" :p

Upvote 0
So with a lock screen app, you have the ability to set how long it stays in lock screen mode before screen goes out? My lock screen only stays on for 2-3 seconds (when I use it), with no setting to increase that time. I use No Lock and when I turn on the screen all "those" widgets are on my homescreen, seems no more clicks than using a lock screen app. Other than feeling secure that your phone is locked, I still don't get it.:thinking:

Upvote 0
White Gorilla, I truly don't mean to hijack your thread, but if you're looking for app ideas, could you PLEASE consider doing a Gtalk version of handcent? Older versions of Android don't have the built in option of a pup up, and I can't tell you how long I've searched fur one, with surprisingly lacking results. If it's done well, I'd gladly pay for it

Upvote 0
Tcat, I see what you're saying, and it does make sense to just bypass it to get right to the homescreen. I think a lot of people do like that secure feeling that their phone will more certainly not dial anyone in their pocket (even though the power/lock button does usually shut off the screen).

Ryan, I looked into handcent; basically your suggesting customization of chat theme/style and more file transfer options through gtalk? Or is there something I'm missing?

Upvote 0
WG: Mimicking everything Handcent does would be Wonderful, but for lower versions of Gingerbread (which is what my stock X has as it's sans a front-facing camera so it's stalling out at 2.3.3) don't have the option for Gtalk to use a popup when you get an IM. I believe Google added it to the app at something like x.4 or x.5, but that doesn't help anyone below that such as myself, or on new "budget" phones. If you were load Handcent onto a phone, or even an emulator, it'll give you an idea of what I've been wanting for Gtalk for sometime. The absolute ideal would be something that handled SMS, Gtalk, FB all the same (as at least for me, they all function the same, but that could be another argument altogether), but just getting a 3rd party popup into the market would be great...something that isn't a running service and tries to replace the app, but just does a popup in which you can reply or launch the thread in question. Customization can follow, later with integrating other forms of quick messaging.

Upvote 0
And I wasn't kidding when I said I'd pay for it. I'm not sure I'd drop a ten-spot for something like that, but I think bunch of people would be willing to drop .99 on it. Just do a google search for "gtalk android popup", and you'll see a bunch of threads from other sites where other people are asking the same question.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones