• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lock screen wallpaper

davedontmind

Sep 15, 2009
I can change the home screen wallpaper by:
menu -> wallpaper -> home -> wallpaper gallery -> ...

However if I try to change the lock screen wallpaper, it doesn't give me the choice of "wallpaper gallery":
menu -> wallpaper -> lock screen ..
just takes me directly to my photo albums.

How can I choose lock screen wallpaper from the existing wallpaper gallery?

After about 3 emails back and forth with an almost incomprehensible customer service rep (who also seemed to find me incomprehensible) about this and another issue, I think I was told that this is not possible. I'm assuming it's a bug that may or may not be fixed in the forthcoming firmware upgrade.

It really took some effort to remain polite! Incidentally, I still can't find emails sent from my phone on any of my other IMAP clients, so I think the answer given to me in the final message was wrong.

I love my hero. But two little problems: I have an IMAP email account - I can only see the inbox, and none of the other folders sync properly. Can I get the sent items uploaded to the IMAP sent items folder? I'm not sure if this just isn't possible, or if it's because on my other clients the sent folder is set as INBOX.sent-mail. My hero seems to store sent items in a folder called Sent. Is this a local folder or on the IMAP server? I can't seem to find it on my other clients... Also: Setting the Lockscreen wallpaper from the wallpaper gallery? Is this possible? For me it just takes me straight to the photo albums Thanks in advance.

Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We are dedicated to providing you with the best quality service and answering all of your questions and concerns.

You recently wrote us about an issue that you have encountered with your device.

1. Tap Start, select Messaging (if Messaging is not present, select Programs, messaging).
2. If Select Account Appears, select the IMAP Email account.
3. Tap Menu, select Tools and select Options.
4. Tap the Message tab.
5. Ensure Keep Copies of sent items in Sent folder is Selected.
6. Tap ok.

Thanks,
My sent emails are being saved to the sent folder, but I'd like to know if this is an IMAP folder or a local folder, and if I can change the settings to use the same IMAP sent-mail folder that my other clients use. Also, when I do open other IMAP folders they all appear empty, even though I know there are recent messages in them.

Can you explain what you mean by "tap start", as I can see nothing that says start and I don't recognise the menus you describe.

Also, what about my question about changeing the Lock Screen wallpaper to something else from the wallpaper options? At the moment it's only giving the option to set a photo from the camera album.

Kind regards

The IMAP-capable email client programs retrieve the messages' headers from the server and can store local copies of the messages in a local (temporary) cache. All the messages are left on the server until they are deleted by the user you can re-synced by the next connection.

it is the only way

To change the Home screen wallpaper
1. Press HOME > MENU, and then tap Wallpaper.
2. Select Home.
Note Select Lock screen to change the Lock screen wallpaper.
3. Tap Albums or Wallpaper gallery.
Tap Albums to use a picture that you have captured using the camera
or copied to your phone as a wallpaper. You can crop the picture before
setting it as a wallpaper. See “To crop a picture” in Chapter 7 to learn how
to crop the picture.
Tap Wallpaper gallery to use preset phone wallpapers.
4. Tap Save or Set wallpaper

Just to be clear, the main thing that I want to know is if Sent email messages are uploaded to the IMAP server, or just stored on the phone.

For the lockscreen wallpaper - no Wallpaper gallery option comes up, it just takes me straight to albums. Is this a bug?

Dear Richard, Sent email messages are uploaded to the IMAP server not stored on the Hero At the present you can set from albums as walpaper

Upvote 0
Have you rooted and wiped your device? If so you may have erased the wallpapers folder of its contents. I wouldn't worry. There are several apps in the market for wallpapers.

No. It was like this brand new out of the box, Orange branded phone.

The wallpapers are there - I can change the home screen to use them - there is just no interface option to select from the wallpaper gallery when changing the lock screen wallpaper.

Upvote 0
I updated with the Orange Version Rom. I have since had the same problem and although not important is annoying. Its weird that the Wallpaper folder is there for Home Screen but not Lock Screen. I contacted HTC about this and said that its not their end but must be something to do with Orange. Has anybody found a solution to this? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks Slug, have not rooted my phone so dont see systems etc. I had the option before to use 2 seperate default wallpapers, one for Home and one for Lock so maybe that was a mistake. It seems then that the only option for Lock Screen from now on is then Album Folder. Just wanted to know that it was not just me having this problem. Anyway am now thinking about finding an App to change themes so I wont need it anyway. Thanks again :)

Upvote 0
I had the option before to use 2 seperate default wallpapers, one for Home and one for Lock so maybe that was a mistake.

I've never seen an option for "wallpaper" or "lockscreen" in Settings/Personalise/Lock screen wallpaper myself.

It seems then that the only option for Lock Screen from now on is then Album Folder.

Yup, I created two folders on my SDHC card, one for wallpaper and the other for lock screens.

Upvote 0
On the sprint hero, to choose a wallpaper that came with the phone for the lock screen or the home wallpaper...

Tap the home button
Tap the menu button
Tap wallpaper
Tap home to set the home, tap lock screen for lock
Tap albums
Tap Wallpapers
There are the system provided wallpapers, they are also on your SD card under the wallpapers DIR

Upvote 0
On the sprint hero, to choose a wallpaper that came with the phone for the lock screen or the home wallpaper...

Tap the home button
Tap the menu button
Tap wallpaper
Tap home to set the home, tap lock screen for lock
Tap albums
Tap Wallpapers
There are the system provided wallpapers, they are also on your SD card under the wallpapers DIR

Nope this doesn't work for me either. When I tap lock screen it takes me straight to albums. Is there another way to set the lock screen wallpaper?

Upvote 0
I ended up doing a google image search for 'htc hero wallpaper' and found all of the stock ones quite quickly, downloaded them and put them in a folder on my SD card, so i can set the lock screen wallpapers from there.

Ironically, while searching i also found loads of really good wallpapers and so havent used the stock ones since i copied them.

Upvote 0
downloaded them and put them in a folder on my SD card, so i can set the lock screen wallpapers from there.

thanks, but where do i create the folder so that it appears when i go to set my lockscreen wallpaper? i've currently just saved the wallpaper im using in the same folder as my camera shots.

are you saying you go to the actual folder and set from there, rather than menu/wallpaper/lockscreen? if so how do i do this? i have astro. thanks

Upvote 0
thanks, but where do i create the folder so that it appears when i go to set my lockscreen wallpaper? i've currently just saved the wallpaper im using in the same folder as my camera shots.

are you saying you go to the actual folder and set from there, rather than menu/wallpaper/lockscreen? if so how do i do this? i have astro. thanks
I just created a 'wallpapers' folder in the root directory of my SD card and put them all in there - the phone automatically scans all folders for pictures, and that folder appears in the list when i choose a wallpaper, regardless of whether its for the lock screen or the home screen. You can name it whatever you like.

So, for home screen wallpapers it's [menu] -> wallpaper -> home -> albums -> 'wallpapers' folder.
Similarly for lockscreens, except you dont have to choose albums it takes you straight there.

Upvote 0
I just created a 'wallpapers' folder in the root directory of my SD card and put them all in there - the phone automatically scans all folders for pictures, and that folder appears in the list when i choose a wallpaper, regardless of whether its for the lock screen or the home screen. You can name it whatever you like.

So, for home screen wallpapers it's [menu] -> wallpaper -> home -> albums -> 'wallpapers' folder.
Similarly for lockscreens, except you dont have to choose albums it takes you straight there.

excellent! thanks for the help :)

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,
I'm having the same problem except that none of the above solutions have worked so far. I downloaded a 'Backgrounds' app with loads of cool backgrounds that I wanted to use for my lock screen wallpaper. I saved them driectly from the app and it put them in a 'Backgrounds' folder on my SD card. I have both ASTRO and Filedroid and have made new folders with the images in but they still won't show up in my Albums folder list. I originally put the new folder within the DCIM but then heard that it needs to be in the root of the SD card. I did that and still nothing shows up! Am I doing something wrong? Please help as I know it's a tiny thing but it's really frustrating!

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I KNOW HOW TO DO IT WOO ! lol , sorry i'm new to this whole HTC stuff, recently got my phone and was wondering how to set the lock screen wallpaper to something other than the images they gavem i,e album.

i messed about with images to try and find a solution such as changing the names, format, size of the images .. BUT YOU DONT NEED TO DO THAT !!

this is what you need to do
1, take the image file that you want to use as your screen lock background (doesnt matter about the file format or size or anything) and place it in your DCIM folder in your SD Card.....basically where the camera pictures u take are.

2. open the camera , and click on the bottom icon that takes you to your gallery of photos taken, and the image file you placed into DCIM should be there.

3. tap the image, and this opens it up full screen,

4, click on menu , set as ,......and there should be an option for lock screen

5. you can then do the usual resize like you do with wallpapers with your image file

6 click save..... and wa-la , your lock screen should have the picture of the image file you choosed!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I KNOW HOW TO DO IT WOO ! lol , sorry i'm new to this whole HTC stuff, recently got my phone and was wondering how to set the lock screen wallpaper to something other than the images they gavem i,e album.

i messed about with images to try and find a solution such as changing the names, format, size of the images .. BUT YOU DONT NEED TO DO THAT !!

this is what you need to do
1, take the image file that you want to use as your screen lock background (doesnt matter about the file format or size or anything) and place it in your DCIM folder in your SD Card.....basically where the camera pictures u take are.

2. open the camera , and click on the bottom icon that takes you to your gallery of photos taken, and the image file you placed into DCIM should be there.

3. tap the image, and this opens it up full screen,

4, click on menu , set as ,......and there should be an option for lock screen

5. you can then do the usual resize like you do with wallpapers with your image file

6 click save..... and wa-la , your lock screen should have the picture of the image file you choosed!!!!!!!!

p.s i just realised for some odd reason , the images i put into the DCIM folder showed up when i checked to see if i could change the lock screen wallpaper from menu-wallpaper-llockscreen..... ..( but in the time between, i plugged in my phone to the pc ...soo have a go yourself and tell me how it works for you.

Upvote 0
Ive got a folfer on my sdcard called media

Root
_SDcard
__media
________Wallpaper
_______________Home
_______________Lock
________Music

WORks really well. Let's you split up lock screen and home screen wallpaper also the default music app doesn't have any problems. The wallpapers just show up as 2 albums in the albums app nice and easy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones