• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lock Wifi On?

Clarky

Lurker
Feb 22, 2017
Hi,

I have an issue where staff shut off there WiFi on there Android S7 devices to access blocked apps such as Facebook or twitter. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable people from turning off WiFi? I want there phone to always have WiFi enabled so they can't get into blocked apps or web pages. Thanks for the help!

Is this some kind of work situation? More details please. Otherwise it sounds quite Draconian as you want to force people to do something you want involving their personal property.

Sorry no. I own the phone. I own the business they are business phones. They are using company supplied phones on company time to game and use dating apps. The amount of use is getting more and more and I rather have a way to stop it rather then have to be a helicopter boss all the time. Sorry for confusion.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
This being a work situation you might also want to think about implementing some kind of content filtering solution on your WiFi network itself and not bother with folding in any direct monitoring on the phones themselves. If you have any kind of hardware firewall in place that's probably the best solution but if not, any good wireless router will have some kind of 'block site or domain' option buried in its setup menu. A more elaborate option with more features is to implement OpenDNS, where you would use the OpenDNS in place of your ISP's supplied DNS in the router and set up your content filtering through your OpenDNS account settings.
https://www.opendns.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS
Putting restrictions on your WiFi network might be a better option if you're letting your staff also take home their work phones so they can just use them as they wish without content filtering outside the workplace. And also note all this only applies to WiFi connectivity, if cellular/mobile data is also a factor than you do need to put restriction on the phone's themselves.

Reactions: palmtree5
Upvote 0
Just a thought: if you successfully block them on their work phone, they'll just revert back to using the apps on their personal phone and probably resent you for going through so much effort to block them.

Rather than blocking the apps, maybe you're better off tracking app usage and getting a report on what apps each person is accessing. A simple percentage breakdown would be fine. Then, if someone has any percentage using Tinder, for example, you can talk to them about not using Tinder on the company phone. Of course you'll want to make it clear to them in advance what is or isn't acceptable to be doing on a company phone.

I'm not sure what activity tracking app would be best, but I know they're out there.

Upvote 0
Just a thought: if you successfully block them on their work phone, they'll just revert back to using the apps on their personal phone and probably resent you for going through so much effort to block them.
Just my opinion but if I refuse to conform to the rules of my workplace I expect to be looking for work elsewhere. If some employee does have an addiction to Facebook or whatever and simply cannot be anywhere without it for a few hours at a time, that's something of a serious problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones