locked and unlocked Bootloader???

1. cheech4

cheech4 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the newbie question here, but can someone explain the difference between a locked and unlocked Bootloader in android devices. i here some devices are locked and some or unlocked what does that mean.

Advertisement
  2. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

From what I understand all android phones ship with locked bootloaders. An unlocked bootloader is one that has been altered to allow 3rd party ROMs. Even the Nexus bootloaders are locked - though they can be unlocked with a single command. The issue that has a lot of android users up in arms is when a manufacturer cryptographically signs a bootloader so it cannot be unlocked. This is an attempt by the manufacturer to disallow root and that means no custom ROMs.

novox77 posted an explanation here.
    novox77 likes this.
  3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

ardchoille likes this.
  4. cheech4

cheech4 Well-Known Member

ok i got it. i pretty much know the answer to this but i will ask anyways. is there a way except for rooting the device to delete bloatware on the Droid XPRT/PRO?
  5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

not that i know of...

you must have root access (rooted)
    in order to get permission to get to the folders..
    and then to delete the files.
  6. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

dab330 is correct, without root access you simply see empty folders.
  7. DroidDroan

DroidDroan Member

AT&T is horrible for bloatware and the apps are either not useful or you have to ay a fee to use them! wtf AT&T i have very little internal ram on my phone as it is and then you load it up wit a bunch of pointless apps! is anyone else annoyed by this?