Locked or Unlocked Hero?

Last Updated:

1. toppoff

toppoff New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I'm about to join the Android party.

I've decided on the HTC Hero. My only choice is whether to get an unlocked model on Vodafone from mobiles.co.uk or a T-Mobile G2 from buymobilephones.net

Ignoring the usual about network preferences and coverage (Tmob appears to have better coverage than Vodafone at home - but I've got wi-fi) is there any benefit of one over the other?

Many Thanks,

Ade.

Advertisement
  2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

I've heard a lot of complaints about T-mobiles custom ROM but I do like the look of the black G2. I'd go for stock if I was you.

3. ajrr1

ajrr1 Active Member

My hero was from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk . It's the white one (which I think looks much nicer than the T-Mobile version - personal preference of course!).
    I would definitely get it unlocked, you won't get T-Mobiles bloatware on it, and you'll get new ROMs faster from HTC website, rather than waiting for T-Mobile/Orange to customise / mess it up!

Also, not sure if your deal is the same, but I'm not tied in to a 500mb per month data limit, and have excellent signal strength and average 3G download speed of 1.5mb, I'm very impressed with Vodafone to be honest.

4. premiump

premiump Well-Known Member

Hi, I bought my Hero from mobiles.co.uk on Orange and it came unlocked. Its the mocha one.
    Advantages:

• better resale value when the time comes
    • Future HTC updates will just work (not carrier-specific)
    • You don't get all the carrier sh#te that you don't want anyway
    Thrilled with mine :D

If you get the option, I'd go unlocked every time!