Locking up more, and more, and more oftenSupport

Last Updated:

1. bradmatic

bradmatic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys.. Kind of need some semi-urgent assistance here.

I've had my Fascinate for just about 3 weeks. My 30-day return to Best Buy will expire on the 10th.

Over the last few days, I am having to reboot my SF 2-3 times a day. Programs will lock it up.. to the point that I have to battery pop my phone.

I check the active tasks.. nothing other than launcher pro is running.

I'm not running any CPU Mod program. Just rooted with OCLF.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. gingergirl

gingergirl Well-Known Member

... bradmatic...
    I had the same really troubling thing happen to me last night.... my phone TOTALLY locked up on me.... I had just finished sending a text which was a critical one... logistics of picking up kids, etc... I don't have a land-line... so i rely on my cell. It FROZE... I've had to do a battery pull in the past... but for whatever reason, the back would NOT BUDGE... near tears...(not joking)... I finally got the @#%& back off...but now it is all jagged..... the battery pull did the trick... but WTF???

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I'm sure you know that there are many possibilities as to why the device is crashing so often.

The fact that powering down, via battery pull in your case, and powering back up temporarily fixes the problem tells me that too many tasks are invoking at the same time for the device's resources to be able to handle them all, so it freezes up from lack of those resources.

You'll have to start taking a serious look at what you have configured to sync and update, along with what services are running.

Menu > settings > applications > running services will show you a list of what's running in the background.

Menu > settings > applications > manage applications (wait while it loads, it takes a minute or so sometimes) > menu > sort by size will tell you what you might have to press then stop, or even clear cache and clear data.

Take note of all that's in there and make decisions as to what you really need and don't need running.

gingergirl likes this.
  4. Droidus

Droidus Well-Known Member

My vote goes to going back to stock form and seeing if that behavior persists. If it does its the root/programs. If not its the phone.

5. esn

esn Well-Known Member

My first fascinate was laggy until I installed a app killer the stock one did nothing then installed launcher pro and much better. Then the best buy deal this Friday free fascinate was too good to pass up so I got another fascinate and going to return my first one. Well this one has zero lag and twice as fast with the exact same apps. So it show there are some defective devices out there.

6. bradmatic

here's what i'm trying right now. i'm uninstalling everything but what i "need"

-hootsuite
    -launcherpro (running fb and twitter widgets)
    -root w/ oclf

i'll reboot.. and we'll see what happens.

Could google voice be doing this. because, that's when I notice it the most... Sending and Receiving texts via GV

7. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Honestly, step one un-do the lagfix. I finally un did mine and I think its a better overall experience. I actually un-did it and then re-did it and then un-did it again. Jury still out for overall I do think I will run with Ryan OCLF.

8. gingergirl

gingergirl Well-Known Member

I know this sounds really, really LAME.... but sometimes... well.. I just get plum f'n tuckered out.. trying to figure it all out.... :(

9. bradmatic

ok.. it's been a day or two, and i removed a bunch of stuff that i had downloaded. i stopped using setcpu. i am still using ryanza oclf. everything seems much better.

don't know what the prob was. but hey.. whatever. i don't speak 0's and 1's and the phone doesn't speak english...

...unless you use text to speech. :)