Locks as you put in case?

Last Updated:

1. bprutzman

bprutzman Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to have my Droid automatically lock as I put it into a case? I used to have a Blackberry Curve. The case to the curve had a magnet in it. The blackberry therefore knew when it was in the case and when it wasn't. I'd make the Blackberry lock as soon as I put it in the case. Is there a way to do this same functionality for a droid?

Thanks for your responses,
    Brad.

Advertisement
  2. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Just set it to lock when you hit the power button. AFAIK there's no easy way to do this in hardware.

3. bprutzman

bprutzman Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm... I know a magnet can be used via hardware (in two different polarities) to put the droid into "home media" mode and "car navigation" mode. Isn't there someway I could program one of these two polarities to lock the droid instead? Then put a magnet in the case facing with the correct polarity? It seems do-able to me. In fact so do-able I'm surprised noone has already done it.

My problem with the just re-mapping one of the hardware buttons is that I will forget to press that button sometimes... and since I use the droid as a USB thumbdrive which includes my students' grades I can't EVER afford to have the droid be unlocked and sitting around. With my blackberry I would KNOW it is locked because it is in its holster case.

4. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm surprised this hasn't been accomplished as well, especially considering we have root now. It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard, but hey, what do I know? I'm no dev. ;)

5. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

You don't have to map anything. Your phone should lock once it goes to sleep. Also just locking the phone won't keep someone from getting the grades. The memory card comes out. Once someone has physical access to the device, consider anything on it no longer secure.

6. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

I let it time out to lock (my lock time is set at one minute). Anything I do not want seen I put in Easy Notes and lock it. Getting the SD card would do them no good without the unlock code.