Lockscreen privacy issueGeneral

Last Updated:

1. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't seen this raised before:

When I recieve a text message, the lockscreen displays the name of the sender and the first few words of the message. Anyone can see this, without having to unlock the phone. Is there a way, using the stock messaging app, to keep this from happening? I don't want to add another third-party app just for that.

Advertisement
  2. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

I use ChompsSMS and I am pretty sure there is a setting where you can turn this off. I haven't used the stock msg app since the first week of having my phone but are you sure there isn't something in the settings? what happens if you turn the notification off in the status bar?

3. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

Handcent has this setting as well... like you I only used the messaging app for like the first day... until a fellow Eris user notified me via text about Handcent. :)

4. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd think turning off notifications would turn off the "preview" also. Downside is, people probably still want to know there's a text message waiting. That's where the 3rd-party SMS apps are more customizable.

5. grvthang

You gave me an idea, hallstevenson - I already use Missed Reminder to give me periodic notifications when I don't acknowledge recieving a text or voice message. What ends up happening is that I get two notifications - one from the stock app and one from Missed Reminder.
    I'm gonna try turning off the stock notification and see if I get one from Missed Reminder. This way, I'll get the notification, but nothing will show up on the lockscreen.

6. grvthang

Ok, here's a dumb question -
    How do you turn off the notification? All I see is a way to change the sound of the tone, or to turn off the flash.

7. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

Go into the settings in the stock messaging app and remove the check next to Recieved Notification. That should stop the stock messenger from notifying you.

grvthang likes this.
  8. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

You could download a new lock screen. I use Lockbot (the free one). That won't show anything if you don't want it to.

9. grvthang

is that all it is, just a different lockscreen? I didn't know you could set a different one.

10. grvthang

damn! 2.44mb, just for a lockscreen? maybe it's worh trying a different messaging app...
    but thanks!