• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Log

I have a few questions about the Log.
1)Is it "Bad Coding" if I don't use the log?
2)Why should I use it?
thanks a lot to whoever helps ^_^

1) It is perfectly fine not to use logs. Developers use logs to verify expectations (or absence) (as mentioned by @jonbonazza for development and debug purpose), another way to do that is with assert. Tell you the truth, I consider logging expensive, though I know there is other camp that does not, which I totally respect. There is a price to pay when you log and debug (see #3 as counter argument).

2) In a complex code where different components interact with each other i.e. message passing with intents, broadcast, message handlers etc. Another typical situation is timer, async callback code is crooked to debug i.e. you could be waiting for every if your timer/callback logic incorrect, logs certainly help there.

3) A third point is that Log's should not be part of production code. You can setup a global constant LOGIT = true and check that before calling Log.x. Set it to false to skip logging in production app. Though I've not tried, but there seem to be ways to skip inclusion of log class (if you write a wrapper around android Log) and remove corresponding statements from the code automatically using frameworks such as maven, ant or proguard etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones