1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Logging safely into unecrypted WiFi

1. Colmss

Colmss Well-Known Member

Hi,

is there any way I can turn off any data services even on WiFi so that I can log into an unencrypted WiFi and then into a VPN before I do anything else?

I have made the experience that even when sync is off apps like facebook and Whatsapp connect before I can log into VPN...

Thank you!

Advertisement
    :
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Turn background data off.
  3. Colmss

Colmss Well-Known Member

Do you mean this (see attachment)

Attached Files:

4. chanchan05

No. I mean menu>settings>accounts and sync>background data. If this is turned off, then no app will access the internet unless you open them yourself. Of course this will prevent IM apps and email apps and whatever to update and notify you of any new event if you are connected.
  5. Colmss

Colmss Well-Known Member

Is this the same as auto sync in data usage? I didn't find anything under your path. I have Jelly Bean, sorry I forgot to mention.

This option implies that I have to close running apps, correct? Does it also work for push services like Whatsapp or Facebook?
  6. chanchan05

Oh, ok. I just checked on my Tab and I see the setting has been moved. Go to Data Usage, the settings menu, its the "restrict data" option.
  7. Colmss

Colmss Well-Known Member

But when I check this it says that it will turn off services EXCEPT for when I am on WiFi!